Moss Scuttle

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by IsaacRN, Jul 8, 2007.

1. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Well...

Today was my first shave with a Moss Scuttle. I just want to start of by saying im a noob when it comes down to wet shaving, but i went out and bought the best because I wanted to be spoiled. I was a bit pesimistic on the scuttle, but so many people had them that i figured why not.

I ordered a large one, and when i took it out of the box i though...OMG...this thing is huge. Also ordered an Ayars bowl to work up my lathers. Well today was the day. I took the bowl and scuttle and and let them sit in hot water. After the shave, i went to business and created my lather. I put my first lather on my face and the brush went to the scuttle.

Boy was I suprised that on 2nd and 3rd passes, i had nice warm lather. It was such a nice feeling on just shaved skin too. That nice warm pass of lather just made me think...This was a good purchase. Three passes total and my only problem was a little breakdown on the 3rd lathering session.

All in all.......DO IT!! If you have ever wondered about any type of scuttle, DO IT. Its just another nice little luxury to add to a relaxating shave.

Cheers,
    Isaac

2. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

The Plunge

was thinking about getting a Mossie myself. Am using a SR 3118 badger beater & not sure if a large or small would be more appropriate size wise.

Do you have the dimensions on the Ayars bowl? Does the bowl have a few bumps or other design elements to help work oup the lather (as opposed to a totally smooth ceramic type surface)?

What did everything run you, including the freight down from :droolCanuckistan:drool?

Thanks

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Demensions of the bowl....hmmm....i have no ruler so ill use a guesstimation. Its about 4-5 Inches in workable diameter. Sits at about 2-3 inch in depth. It has like a sea shell cirular groove in the bottom of the bowl that aids in lather production.

Total for a Large Moss/Ayars/Shipping was 108. I know the shipping total was like 23 bucks. packed very well and with some nice cards.

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

You will want the small with that size brush......but note that the Moss-scuttles aren't designed for the building of lather inside them (necessarily). This is why she sells bowls too. You want a snug fit so that when you put the loaded brush in there, "hotness" has no room to escape.

If you don't care about escaping "hotness", then you'll want the bigger scuttle so you have a little bit of room to build lather....

5. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

That was my only real problem. I think i may have gone to big. Oh well on that one. I didnt notice a tremendous loss of heat going bigger. Would like to get a smaller one eventually though.

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

On second thought - if you use a Savile Row 3118 in a Large scuttle, your brush will be swimming in there.......I think you'll be disappointed

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

8. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Thats exactly what i have....but i went for the natural brown color.

9. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

Now thatza nice bowl...

It looks beautifully "designed" to help in whipping up a loada badger batter...The top down shot is very revealing & answers my questions. Size also looks like it is shallow enough to work well with the beloved SR 3118.

Fact am thinking that I probably wouldn't even need a scuttle at all but considering the hefty "freight" rate from Canuckistan down to Miami Beach might as well get both...
    Altho 108 for the set, shipped seems very very reasonable for hand crafted items.

The "Waterfall" finish is just beautiful by the way...

Thanks for the pics...Totally helpful....

Last thing...did you guys order via her website or do you havta call ?

10. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I ordered via the website.

That was a big selling point for myself as well. Its a Handcrafted item. So...that in itself is another conversation piece. Sad to say that as machinery is more cost efficient, might have better quality control, we tend to lose that human touch.

11. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

A Few ideas

1. The scuttle with also have grooves like that, but again...its not meant for lathering.

2. Yes, you might as well get the scuttle too

3. I got mine used

4. If I were buying a scuttle right now, I would get T H I S

12. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I had seen that one.......figured it would just be one of the next ones that ill get. I personally wanted to start off with the Moss Scuttle first. I figure....the bigger the collection...the more conversation :p

13. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

Definitely should have went with the smaller scuttle since I find my tastes leaning towards smaller brushes. That is not to say that every pass is not a warm brush/lather, but to totally maximize warmth, I think the small scuttle is better for Simpson Duke 2, EJ Medium, C&E BB.

Large Scuttle is better for B&B Finest, SR 3226 and C&E Super Badger.

14. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Well i am about to buy a SR 3226 :)

15. Will

Will Nevermind

32 fan, I like the 38...............You are thinking about it now aren't you. :rofl

16. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

You make fast, precise decisions. You can come trade with me anyday.

17. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Well to be honest...if i could get a web page with the different handles i would love to just look around...but i do know i want to go with a 26 knot

18. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Joe....If i had known that the SR is stiff but soft i wouldve bought that before this Vulfix. Alot of people were talking about how great it is, but i find it to be just Eh..

19. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

20. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

33's

[​IMG]

38 on left, 37 on right:

[​IMG]