Most "Reliable" Vintage DE's For The Newbie?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mantic, Dec 21, 2015.

1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Yes they are! The OP asked about DE's but injectors are great newbie razors IMO.

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

YES, yes and yes. Fantastic shaver. Great weight, great finish, great design. Love my British fat handled Tech.

[​IMG]

3. jmaier

jmaier Well-Known Member

+ 3 (or however many we're up to now) on the Techs. Typically cheaper and easier to find than super-speeds, but still mild and reliable enough for any noob. I also appreciate that I can stick a tech head on most modern handles to achieve exactly the weight and balance I'm looking for.

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Well...we're all in agreement, then.

Terry likes this.
  5. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I never liked my tech. I gave it time but was never able to get a comfortable shave out of it. I would like to try a post war and see if its the same feel for me.

twhite likes this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Gillette "FAT" handle tech and 1935 Bar Handle "NEW" LCOC.

Marverel likes this.
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Tech' can really vary depending on where they were made. I have two triangular hole Tech's the USA one is mild while the made in Canada one is aggressive but never harsh. (fav)

battle.munky likes this.
  8. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

mine was a USA made. I got amazingly close shaves but never a comfortable shave. I just sent it away 2 weeks ago after a second trial period after I had a few months of technique behind me.

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I don't believe there's a such thing as "the most reliable vintage razor for a newbie" I believe that it's about learning proper technique, the "tool" plays a secondary role. No razor will provide a good shave unless you learn the simple basics of wet shaving.
    Technique. Trumps. Tools.

10. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I'd say a late 50s Superspeed has to be the quintessential starter razor. Maybe a Tech heavy, or ball end, also a Slim Adjustable, Schick injector type g or e, a NEW Long Comb.

11. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I would say a Super Speed from the 50s or 60s would be a very common starting point. They are still so plentiful and easily acquired and it seemed that everyone owned and/or used one at some point.

12. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

adjustable...any of them...for so many reason, but mainly because it is basically 9 razors in 1...whats more reliable then that?

13. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

My vote is for the Tech also I pretty much only shave with vintage razors and the Tech is the least finicky about blades and still gives a nice comfortable shave IMHO,and as always YMMV

14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I routinely loan out a Gillette fat handle tech to friends interested in getting into wet shaving.
    I feel that the fht is easy to maneuver, efficient enough, but not overly aggressive. it also allows me the simplicity of a thorough cleaning between loans.
    with that being said, I don't feel that many stay with a fat handle tech. must end up getting a slim or fatboy. so if a nice example were to be available. I'd say that would be the razor to get.

Troy M likes this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

YES!

youngunn and wristwatchb like this.
  16. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Agreed...with one minor caveat. The tool has to be a good one. All the vintage Gillettes are good quality tools as long as they're not damaged though. So maybe some of the best newbie advice is to buy ONE razor and use it until you're good at using it before you bother buying more :).

17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I think Mark was asking a which one more than a how to.
    it was my understanding that he was trying to clarify the, "get a vintage Gillette" advice offered often.
    if it was up to him, we'd all have progress' (which ain't bad advice in itself).

18. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

As said above learning Technique is most important with any razor no mater weather it's vintage or new. The one I started out with was a Gillette Slim back in the 60's. One reason I would suggest a vintage adjustable is they can start out at any lower number till they can perfect their technique, angle, matching the right blade etc. .

Robyflexx likes this.
  19. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

20/20 hindsight would be nice to have before I purchased a lot of razors. I am fully convinced that the pinnacle of 3 piece razor development was with the Gillette New razors. I think the Tech, while a great razor, was a step backwards in quality.

I started with a Merkur 34HD and went through a couple of tto razors before I found the tech. Once I bought my first New SC, the Tech went to the back of the drawer.

preidy likes this.
  20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Agreed. As the data will show any and all of the above mentioned tools will work great as long as technique is taught.