Most "Reliable" Vintage DE's For The Newbie?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mantic, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Good point with the Tech that I have also experienced. Tech's vary in efficiency depending country of manufacturing origin, model and decade built. Have used a few Tech's from USA and Canadian built versions. Sold my USA version to a friend who prefers mild razors and kept the more efficient Canadian "triangular" base plate version. I specifically use the word efficient with the Tech's because unlike many other efficient razors the Tech is never aggressive. It's a masterpiece in balancing efficiency with aggressiveness. I believe it's due to the tight blade stability and tolerances of the Tech. Point being Tech's vary try a few varying examples before drawing a definitive conclusion. You may end up as surprised as I was and understand the Tech beauty.
    If you prefer more efficient examples I would recommend the pre 60's, specifically 40's versions made in Canada or England with triangular holes in base plate.
    Tech-Tri.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  2. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

If you mean "reliable" in terms of consistent shave results I'd go with any of the Gillette two or three piece razors or any of the Schick injectors made before Schick got "innovative". If you mean "reliable" in the sense of durability, what can be more reliable than a 60 year old razor that is still in good working order?

3. brit

brit in a box

late 30s techs are fine shavers..

4. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

NEW
    Tech
    Superspeed....Redtip
    I have also come across a lot of messed up Slims and Fatboys so wouldn't recommend those unless they were from a reliable source and had been verified to be in spec and functioning properly. I just saw a slim last week with a broken adjustment dial (actually it was probably a broken spring) and a Fat Boy with a seized adjustment dial thst would also not lock down properly. I have given Techs and Red tips to a few friends and they loved them. Especially the Red tips, but those were people that had been using DE razors for awhile, albeit not vintage. More like Merkur and EJ. Had I come across the NEW and Red Tip early on I may not have ended up with so many razors!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    brit likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm not sure why people are bumping this old thread, but I'll throw in my two cents for this post. I purchased a red tip early in my wet shaving journey and didn't keep it long. Ended up getting another many years later. It wasn't intentional, it was just part of a lot of razors that I won in an online auction. I decided to give it another try, and to my surprise, got on fine with it.

I still find it more aggressive than I prefer, but with proper technique, any razor can be used to get a good shave.

...except for the double DE razor made by Simbatec. That thing is utterly useless and unusable.

brit likes this.
  6. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I believe those you listed are the best DE version. If you decide to include the best overall, I would include the 1930's Schick injector type and the open comb GEM Micromatic which are available for less than the price of a 6 pack of a proper ale.

brit, Juno and S Barnhardt like this.
  7. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

As it has been said before, we can say what WE like as the best vintage razor BUT the answer would be what would YOU like as a Vintage razor, there are many to choose from.

brit likes this.
  8. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

But still, there should be some "safe" or solid choices/recommendations for newbies. I think that is what this thread is about. Not just what is your favorite. For example, I would not recommend a Micromatic Open Comb to a beginner. Unless I was feeling evil

Weasel640 likes this.
  9. Tallships

Yes I guess there are safe choices we can advise, I would say that any of the Gillette Adjustable's would be a safe bet, for reasons that it can be adjusted to any combination of the razor blade to razor gap/exposure/angle. I would also advise to be careful to were the razor is bought, making sure it is working properly.

Ron R likes this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Have to agree, I started with a Gillette slim and I found it excellent for learning. My first razor and it did not let me down and still use it.

brit and Tallships like this.
  11. Tallships

Was my first razor too, still use it. Heck of a great razor, Can't imagine that a razor could last for 58 years and still looks and works good.

brit and Ron R like this.
  12. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I find the 1940’s Super Speeds to be extremely reliable and they’re a razor I always recommend to newbies. I’ve had some of my best shaves using the 40’s era Super Speeds. They can easily be found on eBay for around $15-30 in good condition.

Ron R and brit like this.
  13. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

1st and/or 2nd Gen Super Speeds are bullet proof and readily available.

brit and Angelo85 like this.
  14. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I'm actually really surprised no one has mentioned the Star Mod. 100 DE Razor here. For ease of use and blade feel I'd rank in my top five Vintage DEs. Additionally, because they are lesser know you can normally find them at a lower price point. I'd recommend this razor to anyone. Even when in a hurry I get a great shave from mine.

Angelo85 likes this.