Movember is here again!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Brian, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Active Member

http://mobro.co/BrianShaw

Just one more day until I become clean shaven for the start of Movember, check back with me as I post daily updates of the mo.

About The Campaign

During November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of moustaches on thousands of men’s faces, in the US and around the world. With their Mo’s, these men raise vital funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and other cancers that affect men.
    On Movember 1st, guys register at Movember.com with a clean-shaven face. For the rest of the month, these selfless and generous men, known as Mo Bros, groom, trim and wax their way into the annals of fine moustachery. Supported by the women in their lives, Mo Sistas, Movember Mo Bros raise funds by seeking out sponsorship for their Mo-growing efforts.

Mo Bros effectively become walking, talking billboards for the 30 days of November. Through their actions and words they raise awareness by prompting private and public conversation around the often ignored issue of men’s health.

The Movember Effect: Awareness & Education, Survivorship, Research
    The funds raised in the US support prostate cancer and other cancers that affect men. The funds raised are directed to programs run directly by Movember and our men’s health partners, the Prostate Cancer Foundation and LIVESTRONG, the Lance Armstrong Foundation. Together, the three channels work together to ensure that Movember funds are supporting a broad range of innovative, world-class programs in line with our strategic goals in the areas of awareness and education, survivorship and research.

For more information on the programs we are funding please visit the following:
    Prostate Cancer Foundation
    LIVESTRONG, The Lance Armstrong Foundation
    Awareness & Education
    Global Action Plan

Join me today for this worthwhile cause either by a cash donation or by joining and becoming a Mo Bro yourself. When it comes to cancer there is more to think about than just Pink!

You can donate at... http://mobro.co/BrianShaw Thank you and God Bless!

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yanno, I tried it last year and failed miserably because the hairs on my soul patch hurt so much growing in. But, I will give it another go this year. Thanks for the reminder!

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I've never heard of this before, thanks for letting us know. And glad to see around the den again, haven't seen you in a long while. I wear a stache every day of the year though so everyone join me.

4. Brian

Brian Active Member

Good to be back. I figure it's a good cause to get behind.

5. Brian

Brian Active Member

1st day of MOvember is here, I hope you all remembered to start out clean shaved today. Here I am, freshly shaved and ready to start growing my mo.

tny.jpg

6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

So I'm trying to understand all of this November related shaving... there's Movember where you start freshly shaven and then for the whole month grow only a mustache, shaving the rest? And then there is No Shave November which as I've read means shave nothing at all for the whole month? Am I correct so far? Are they related? The same organization?

7. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

The No Shave November could be related to Playoff Beards...;)

Good for you for participating in Movevber Brian...I would never be able to do it; if I ever did I might get kicked out of the house for the moustache...My wife hates facial hair.

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

My wife hates when I have a mustache, so I can't do Movember, but I do a groomed version of No Shave November each year with some friends. I grow out the beard, shaving only the neck, but keeping it trimmed, then the last Thursday of November, we go out for the evening with mustaches. No idea how we got started on that tradition.

9. stingraysrock

Here is a 50lb lighter since June, Stingraysrock / Jeff. I started at 280+ and am now at 230. I started with a 48 waist in pants, now wear 40 inch pants.

I forgot to take a clean shaven pic though. How appropriate is it that I am wearing a Komen shirt while participating in Movember for men? Heh! I am doing the whole No Shave Movember.

So far no push-back from work. I was actually called on the carpet today by the SVP of Corporate Administration for buying eleven cars that have 4-cylinder engines instead of sixes or eights. My response was "Hey, if those drivers are offended, I am sorry, but the reality is that people are not buying furniture like they used to. My budget has been cut, and that is reflected in my fleet choices. I am merely being a good steward of the money allocated to my department. I got eleven cars for the price of nine" "Not to mention the price of fuel." "Our average fleet MPG is 16, over time, these 4-cylinders should bump that number a bit."

The SVP's response; "very well, carry on."

Never mind my shaggy face!

Ha!

DSC01786 (Custom).jpg

PanChango, scott wein, tomnat and 2 others like this.
  10. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Congratulations on the weight loss, Jeff! That is fantastic. You should be really proud of yourself, that is not an easy feat. If you don't mind me asking, how did you achieve this and what is your goal?

Face is a bit scruffy, can't wait to see the change as the month progresses.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  11. stingraysrock

Nutrisystem. Nothing else. No hitting the gym, no giving up the hootch, just changed the way I eat. I am off the program now because I can find similar food choices locally now. Basically, the program convinces you that you can eat smaller and not be hungry.

scott wein likes this.
  12. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Great to be part of the campaign. We are pledging to raise $1,000 in 30 days. Wish us luck. The barber is Felix Omar from Studio City, CA and has carried the family tradition for over 100 years. Enjoy the video.

http://www.movember.com/m/3301

13. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

Way to go mang with the weight loss:signs107: