Mr. Bill Ellis

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Hawkeye5, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

For those of you that have no clue with whom you may be dealing, and to show my solidarity with a fellow 'airborne man', in particular a LRRP, I have ordered one of Bill's restorations that called out to me. The razor has more to do with it than anything else. But the fact that Bill is airborne is a consideration. (I really can't explain this to legs, sorry). If you have never jumped out of a perfectly good airplane at night, dark of the moon, first in the door, at 800 feet with 80lbs of gear strapped to your harness, I don't care how many free falls you have made, you're sill a FXXking LEG!!
    In case you have not read Bill's bio. He was a paratrooper trained 'in country' (that means RVN) for recon. Prior to the 'Ranger' designation ( Jan or Feb of 1969) these companies were the 51st Infantry, and every Division had their own company of 51st Infantry. All the 51st units were eventually incorporated into the 1st of 75th Rangers because of pressure from the Ranger Association. They were better protected designated an Infantry Company. These guys were out there snooping, watching, listening (you might be surpirsed how many could speak Viet, Cantonese, and Mandarin, not to mention Russian, behind enemy lines, most often inserted by helo, some times by Cav. units.
    You really need to know the man you may be dealing with. First Class American Hero. And I know for a fact that he will not like that.
    Bill, I don't know how many read that bio and have no idea what the heck it means. I do. Sorry if I blew your cover.

2. JMS

JMS New Member

I have never met the man, but I have read several of his posts over at SRP, and quickly learned to respect the man!

3. Tony Miller

Tony Miller Member

Wow, I had no idea! Last year on SRP we had a verterans day thread about our military families, etc.... I made a post about my Dad, also Airborne, his brother a Ranger, and their uncle a POW in Germany, all in WWII. I remember that Bill said he was quite touched by my post.............he had never mentioned why though. It's very clear now seeing has been there, done that.

Tony Miller

4. Will

Will Nevermind

You can keep your Airborne tab.

I am staying on the ground fixin you'se guys.

I still have VERY much respect for ya'll but fast roping is enough for me (skerd of heights :p).

5. jnich67

jnich67 Member

+1
    Hear hear!

6. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Thanks for the recognition, but...

It was a time in my life that made me not so nice. Part of that demon lingers. Unfortunately, giving a razor away now and again won't make it better. I think I'd give all 1,500 of mine to the person who could make my ears stop ringing and take away some of the memories. This is the company I was with for those with a bit of interest.

My take, however, is that the real hero's were left behind. I'm just a guy who is pretty handy with his hands. Handymen are dime a dozen.

7. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Bill - but "good" handymen are worth their weight in gold!

8. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

Bill -
    Thanks for the service that you rendered.