Mr Frog's new wooden handles

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sergio Campos, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Sergio Campos

Sergio Campos Active Member

Hi friends,

During the fun-fun-fun pif march I won an old style razor from TheVez, thanks Vez! But I made the mistake of showing to my friend Mr Frog, and he didn't want to let me use the razor, since he won it not me (details can be found here). So I was wondering what to do, and I made Mr Frog a proposition, what about if we got some new wooden handles for his razor and some others ? There is actually a carpenter nearby, so I stopped by and asked him if he could help us.

And help us he did! Check out the handles he made. I gave him the old ones, he removed the ball end and top parts and made these. The dark one is made of jacaranda, while the light colored one are made of mahogany. What do you think ? The carpenter said that he is willing to make some more, if he gets the ball end/top parts that he doesn't have.

Sergio.

mr_frog1.jpg mr_frog2.jpg mr_frog3.jpg mr_frog4.jpg

2. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

Very nice... how is the weight now I would think a little heavier but not by much.
    I really like the dark one...don't tell me how much they cost Sergio I am trying to transition to straights *sigh* lol

Sergio Campos likes this.
  3. Sergio Campos

Actually they are surprisingly light. Except for the one with the ball end, a bit heavier. What I learned using them is that I actually like the longer lighter handle, you have the stability of the longer handle without the weight. I didn't know this, but for me being stable is more important than being heavy for the success of the shave.

They did cost me about $25 each.

Sergio.

4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Those handles are really nice! I'd love to know how your carpenter managed to fenegle the top fitting. From what I've seen that fitting always seems inseparable from the main part of the handle..usually that section of handle won't give up without a fight...

5. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

Hmmmm this could be a good Xmas present for the wife then she loves the long handle lighter razors ... I told you not to tell me how much they cost.... Why Sergio Why?

6. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Very nice... its great to restore old classics!

7. Samjax

Samjax New Member

Any chance of getting one or two of those made?

8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Please note we don't allow discussion of selling or purchasing in general threads - nor selling by unapproved vendors. Thanks.

9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Looking great! Enjoy!

10. Sergio Campos

He told me he fixed the handle without the ball end to the workbench, inserted a screwdriver or some such tool and hammered it out. Only one of the three was tight the others were already loose.

Sergio.

11. Sergio Campos

Much like misery, RAD loves company... :)

12. Sergio Campos

Sorry Jody, it was not my intention. But yes, there is a chance of getting one or two of those made. Not by me, but the carpenter said he could do it. Jody, where can we continue this discussion ?

Sergio.

13. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

You could PM the carpenter's contact info to whomever requested it.

14. eeric

eeric New Member

those are pretty cool! I guess you just have to be a little careful if you get the wood wet..

15. Sergio Campos

Well, they've been treated with a "maritime grade" lacquer, I've been told. The carpenter assured me that they can be used with water without problems.

16. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Very nice handles! May they serve you well.

17. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Nice handles Sergio. I'm sure Mr. Frog approves!

18. Sergio Campos

Mr. Frog certainly approves! Did you notice his BBS shave?:)