MTgrayling's Chili

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by MTgrayling, Jan 11, 2009.

1. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Description:
    A hearty Chili for a cold day with just the right amount of spice, sweetness and depth of flavor.

Time: 3 hours
    Difficulty: Easy
    Serving Size: 1 gallon

Ingredients:
    1lb+ red meat. I use Elk.
    1lb ground Turkey
    1 large yellow onion
    3-4 pieces of Garlic
    1 large mild chili pepper
    1/2 cup dry red wine
    2 16 oz. cans whole tomatoes
    2 16 oz. cans dark red Kidney Beans
    3 ounces of Tomato paste
    1 Tablespoon crushed black pepper
    1 Tablespoon Cumin
    1.5 Tablespoons Chili powder
    1 Tablespoon sugar
    1 Tablespoon Cocoa
    1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
    1 Tablespoon Rooster sauce (Sriracha hot sauce)
    1-2 Tablespoons of flour paste

Preparation:
    Cube the meat into small chunks. Chop the onion coarsely. Dice the pepper and Garlic finely.

Instructions:
    Brown the cubed meat in a skillet and drain, set aside.
    Brown the ground Turkey and drain.
    Add both cooked meats to the pot and add the coarsely chopped onion, the Cumin, Chili powder and Cayenne and saute until the onion is softened. When the onion is done add the 1/2 to 3/4 cup of wine, I like Chianti, and boil for a few minutes.

Add the canned whole Tomatoes and crush with your hands into bite sized chunks, this is the fun part!
    Add the Kidney beans, the mild Pepper (Anaheim chili) and the crushed Black Pepper and bring to a boil.

Simmer for a half hour of so and add 24-30 ounces of water and the finely diced Garlic and return to a boil for another hour. Add the Cocoa, sugar, Rooster sauce to taste and thinned Tomato paste. Boil for another half hour and as a final step add a tempered slurry of flour and water to thicken, do not add too much as you'll get a pasty Chili just enough to keep things in suspension and give a nice color. It shouldn't take more than 2 Tablespoons of flour per gallon.

Makes approximately a gallon and is best served with Cornbread and a garnish of finely diced sweet Walla Walla onion and shredded Cheese.

Attached Files:

2. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

2nd post this week mentioning the rooster sauce. Yummy.

Looks good Chris, I haven't been to MT in a long while maybe I should pay you a visit for some fishing and chili ;)

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

That sounds really good. Some different ingredients that I wouldn't have thought to put in chili. :drool

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Sounds fantastic, but I think this should be riding shotgun with it instead of the St. Pauli Girl. ;)

It just seems that hearty chili should be served with some good Texas brew!

5. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

You'd weep if you saw the beer selection here. The Pauli Girl was for the picture. I ended up drinking some of New Belgium's winter brew 2 below with it, honestly it tastes just like Fat Tire and paired well with the Chili.

You're welcome to come on over Bong. The fishing is always good and there's plenty of Chili! :D

6. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

side note - coarsely chop with gillette super thin pendejos blades and serve in a bakelite dish.