Muehle 89

Discussion in 'Safety Razor Reviews' started by Labarum, May 16, 2007.

1. Labarum

Labarum New Member

Muehle R89 alonside the Merkur HD (Courtesy of SMF)

[​IMG]

I have been using the Merkur HD for four weeks with a 1948 SS on a few days and with a variety of blades settling to Swedes.

Today with the Muehle R89 I have had the best DE shave ever. With the first stroke I could feel and hear the difference. By beard was cut so efficiently I was never tempted to apply any pressure. With a new Swede the open comb Muehle reduced my beard effortlessly.

I always thought I had an average Anglo-Saxon beard. My hair as a young man was anything from light brown to blond, depending on the sun. Now I have a lot of wiry white hair which is quite tough. My instinct has proven correct - the Merkur HD is a fine razor, but it was not right for me. This open comb Muhle is a big step forward for me.

I cannot yet tell how it would compare to a Merkur open comb or Slant. The experiments will have to wait a while.

My Muehle is better engineered than my Merkur HD and is ten grammes or so lighter. The handle of the R89 is fatter and heavier than that of the razor in the box, and the R89 is chrome plated rather that nickel plated as is the in one in the box. Delivery from Muehle was the next working day - but I am living in Germany.

So, in conclusion - the Muehle R89 gave me an effortless shave and the best I have had in four weeks DE shaving. The only area that was not BBS after a three pass WTG, XTG, ATG was the heel of my right jaw. I need to perfect my technique in this area and shave with my left (poor) hand to get the angle of attack correct. That was not the razor's fault.

An excellent buy. Absolutely delighted. And it looks pretty too!

2. akhorosh

akhorosh New Member

I like this razor a lot. I give me very close shave similar to slant razor.