Multi-piece heads vs. TTO

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fuerein, Feb 15, 2007.

1. fuerein

fuerein New Member

Does anyone else find themselves having a strong preference for one over the other?

To me the TTO heads just seem larger and less manuevarable than the multi-piece razors I have tried.

Just idle wonderings.

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Yeah, my TTO's get very little use. Head is too bulky, and I don't like how the blade gets tensioned in a TTO.

Tech-type heads (including Feather portable) and Merkur HD-type & Slant are my go-to's.

3. 1 st class male

1 st class male New Member

I guess that I prefer the tto. I have an HD I don't really use and also an MP open comb that I should trade as I have only used it a few times (it looks really cool though), and I have an old Proback open comb that I don't use all 3 piece razors. My Gillette SS and red tip SS are the 2 razors I reach for.
    John

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Dont think I can help much here but....
    I need to build up my post totals.

==========================

My 2 favorite razors are:

The soon -to-be-extinct
    GOLD MERKUR SLANT
    which is a multi-piece head and

Gillette Slim Adjustable
    which is a TTO

When my face is jacked up I really like the Slant for a 2 passer, but when I want the BBS....my Slim rocks.
    so....
    my vote is YES. I do.

5. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

Adjustables have seemed a little too bulky for me. My preference is for the fixed head Merkurs, i.e. HD, 1904 and Classic.

6. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

I have only experienes with TTO, but I ordered some Feather 3 pieces so I will use one for myself and see how it compares to TTO's.

7. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I actually like both.. but if I have to choose one as a fav.. Ill guess it will be a TTO - I do love my Slim Adjustables.. But it is a close call vs. my Merkur classics..

8. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Have 'em both. Like 'em both. As much as I like my adjustables, though, if I could only have ONE, it would be my gold Tech.

9. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Well......I have quite a few of both, but I seem to gravitate towards the multi piece(s) for most of my shaves. I feel that they hold the blade in place much better.Fewer moving parts also means less chance of damage to the razor. I have been stung a couple of times buying vintage Gillettes. The silo doors were not all they should have been.

Of course there is an exception to every rule.......the Merkur Futur is a multipart razor.....but for the life of me......I am not quite sure how the blade is held in place:confused: It still gives excellent shaves!

10. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

The Feather Portable (3 piece) is an excellent razor. I used one for a week when I was away training. More agressive than a Tech and obscenely cheap for the quality.

11. Frankenface

Frankenface New Member

I like them both although, I feel the 3 piece is a little bit at getting a BBS shave. If I had to choose one, I don't think that I could. Variety is the spice of life!
    -Fred

12. Smedley

Smedley New Member

As a n00b, I find the three piece a bit "faster" than the TTO. i.e. my Tech vs my SS. The Tech can give wicked nice shaves, but I have to pay more attention to it.

13. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

My absolute favorite razor is the Merkur Slant Bar. Nothing shaves me better. (I have not tried the straights yet)

14. Lynchmeister

Lynchmeister New Member

As of right now, I have only used my Merkur Classic (3-piece), but someday I would like to get a TTO. There's just something about them that intrigues me.

15. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

I seem to get the best shave with the HD, a two part. I have a Merkur three piece I've not used yet, and a slant bar on the way (really looking forward to that).
    While I have TTOs, and used them for several years when I was younger, I've not really come back to using them much as the HD is so easy to use and gives very smooth shaves with a Swede or Feather.

16. fritz

fritz New Member

I like the Futur because it seems to have the best of both; it's adjustable, but doesn't have all the baggage and bulk of the TTOs.

17. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I use both styles on occasion. I don't have a preference either way because I get excellent shaves from all my Gillettes TTO's and from my one and only 2 piece a Gold Slant. I have to admitt that being a gadget type guy I love the operation of the TTO razors, adjustables in particular, there is just something cool about them. On the other hand there is something classic and attractive about the 2/3 piece razors. Maybe that is the reason I have both type of razors besides both types shave 100 times better than any other modern safety razor, in my opinion.

RAF

18. Stubble

Stubble Member

If I could only have one razor, it would be my Aristocrat. Love that thing. Next would be my HD open comb or Gillette NEW. Last would be the 40's SS and Tech. Both good razors, mind you, just too mild for me.

The open combs have that classic look to them, hard to get by that.,,,,,,,,,,,,

19. norman931

norman931 New Member

20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den Norman!