Multiple days chasing the baby

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by LevelupShaves, Jun 15, 2017.

1. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Anyone else out there that shaves every day or several days in a row like Monday through Friday notice that it's a little easier to get irritation from that last pass on the fourth or fifth day? I shave Monday through Thursday then I don't shave Friday unless I'm going out Friday night. If I don't shave Friday I do Saturday morning almost never on Sunday then back to it. I pretty much have my angle down and I'm not changing much in my set up day to day lately but I've noticed if I go for that third pass and especially a clean up pass on Thursday or Friday I'm more likely to get irritation than through the rest of the week. Am I over shaving should I just let the end of the week off with a DFS and not bother chancing it? Thanks guys

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Never chase the baby. Just keep working on techniques. The quality of your shaves will continue to improve for a couple of years, to be honest. Irritation is usually a technique flaw. You are likely leaning on the razor on the clean up pass to catch the bbs. Focus on shaving well, don't worry about anything other than looking clean shaven during the week.

3. LevelupShaves

Thank you for that I'll definitely keep working on my technique I'm a bit of a perfectionist in that respect.
    2 things though
    1. Why does it only seem to catch me towards the end of the week? I would almost bet money that Saturdays shave will be perfectly smooth with little to no incident. Not arguing this is a legitimate question by the way.
    2. Semi unrelated but it's the mower center of my neck that causes the problem my growth pattern is like a cow lick there the hair grows in every direction at that spot any suggestions on dialing that problem in. The only thing I've come up with so far is to use as little pressure as humanly possible.

Tiredricefarmer and Keithmax like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

1) With all respect, inexperience and loss of focus on workday mornings. I believe you just need more experience and you'll be able to pull it off daily. Small and minute technique errors can leave lasting irritation, especially if you chase.

2) Myself and many others have this issue. There's not really a better solution other than each person just kinda has to work this area out. It's hard for everyone who has a pattern of similar style. Skin stretching, hardcore like for Straights, might help provide a more smooth and flat skin bed, but there are no magic bullets here.

5. LevelupShaves

Fair enough I'll save the chase for the Saturday shaves lol. Really though I do generally take more time to shave on Saturday morning no rush and I woke up later so usually more awake. Appreciate the advice

Keithmax likes this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I shave every day of the week. Consistently better shaves come with time. Remember, BabyButtSmooth shaves only last a couple of hours. Irritation can last days.

Fup, brit, Demidog and 10 others like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Gospel

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I agree with all of that!! I say that BBS is a myth. I can get it but the sandpaper is back in a short time. Why bother. There is no lasting BBS.

brit and Keithmax like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I agree, but when I used DE razors. Now, since then, a really sharp Straight Razor can deliver a BBS shave, with little to no irritation, regularly. I regularly get this, but I don't try. When I do try, I regret it. That's probably because I start adding pressure.

Keithmax likes this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Makes sense to the Romeo November. Good technique will bring great shaves with no added effort.... Who would have thunk it.

11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I'm a daily shaver and some times twice a day when I have evening social event. When I have to shave more than once in a day the second shave I skip my ATG pass and pay extra close attention to my technique to prevent irritation.

wchnu likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  13. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Fortunately (well, sort of) I don't have to shave everyday...or at all, for that matter. I shave every other day. For me, if I don't skip a day, I don't get a close shave. It's not terrible, but the stubble seems to return faster. This holds true for carts and for DE. In a way, it's a little bit of a shame now. I'm enjoying shaving again since switching. Even with carts, I was a three-pass shaver, and I was able to get incredibly smooth shave - so long as it was every other day. I suppose in a way it gives me something to look forward to on my "in between day"!

RyX likes this.
  14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

15. RetLEO-07

WORD!

16. RetLEO-07

Well ya could laser the hair off :D
    :scared003:

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Great advice so far.
    Not me. I shave every day, three passes every time. I don't chase the baby, get darn near BBS every time, never any irritation.
    Yes

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  18. LevelupShaves

Great advice so far thanks everyone. I am inclined to agree with most of it I can get a BBS shave on a semi regular basis without really trying but when I try to force it it generally causes a little irritation so from now on 3 passes and I'm done results be damned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FaceScraper, clint64 and swarden43 like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

@LevelupShaves have you considered evening shaves instead of mornings? If your job allows a little 5 O'clock shadow, shaving in the evening takes the AM time crunch away.
    Similar for me. Twenty four hours is too soon. I prefer 36 to 48.

FaceScraper likes this.
  20. RetLEO-07

Bama Samurai and RyX like this.