multiple razors in the SoS of the day

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by redorchestra, Oct 13, 2007.

1. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Does anyone use a different razor or blade for the second or third pass?

I am wondering what would be the best way to go.

Would you start with a gentle razor like a Dorko and move to a sharper harsher razor for the second pass. Or would you start with an aggressive razor and go progressively gentler.

I haven't tried this yet. I don't have many blades, and my razors are all about the same. All three piece vintage gillettes. Although two are open comb and two are full comb.

Here is what I am thinking.
    First pass: 1932 gillette three piece full comb with a dorko
    Second pass: 19?? gillette full comb with American Personna
    Third pass: 19?? gillette open comb with noname drugstore razor (my best right now)

2. fritz

fritz New Member

I quite often shave with at least two razors, because I almost always use my small gold Slant as the ATG and/or touch-up razor. I have a lot of razors (well, about 25, not much for a collector), and I like 'em all. So this way I get to use them more often.
    The trick is to use what works well for a particular pass, and/or a particular area of the face. This varies a lot between people, and even for the same person from one day to the next. And of course, there might be more than one razor/blade combination that works for a particular pass/area. For example, I got pretty far out on this shave, but it was fun!:D

3. JPOMP

JPOMP New Member

Hi Joe,
    I don't see any need to use different razors and blades for your second and third passes. The key is to find the right combination razor and blade that gives you a close, smooth, irritation and cut free shave. Believe me, it took me many tries to find the right combination for me. There are a few vendors that sell DE blade samplers. Giovanni at Barbieria Italiana has some excellent blade sampler packs ( www.razorandbrush.com/indexbarbieria.html ). Remember that each pass is a reduction pass, so by the third pass you should have a BBS shave.

4. fritz

fritz New Member

If you are trying to do gradual stubble reduction, then you need a sharp blade in a gentle razor for the first pass, so that you cut off only the upper part of the whiskers. Then as you try to shave closer to the skin on the next passes, you would need a more aggressive razor (more blade exposure) but might want a smoother, gentler blade.

OTOH, if you can do it, you might want to take off almost all the beard on the first pass with a very sharp and aggressive razor, as I did in the shave mentioned above by using the Shavette (but only on the cheeks, where the skin is not so sensitive and it's easy to shave close without nicks or scrapes).

You will have to figure all this out for yourself, it's part of the fun... Some have an adjustable razor and start at the lightest setting and go up on each pass. Others swear that one setting for all passes is best, or even start at the most aggressive and dial to milder for later passes! It's whatever works for your face and beard....;)

5. fritz

fritz New Member

I agree, this is almost always 99.99% correct for every case. You CAN use just one razor and blade, and you should be able to get a good shave that way, once you learn how.

BUT what's the fun in that?:D If you find it easier/better/more satisfying to use more than one, blaze away!

6. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I had a fantastic shave yesterday. I started with a gentle blade and moved progresively sharper and aggressive(IMO).

Touching the alum block to my face felt like I was using ice rather than acid.

I'll try it for a few more days and then reverse it to see what happens.

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Hmmm...multiple razors. My shave of choice.

1) Feather ACD-N for first pass. Merkur anything for second + passes.
    2) Merkur Futur for first pass and anything else for second + passes.
    3) Straight Razor for first pass. Merkur anything for second + passes.
    4) Merkur Slant w/a feather for the first pass and an Merkur HD with a milder blade for the second + passes.

I want the first pass to slice through anything and give me the closest shave without irritation. The rest is gravy or saving the shave if I blow it with the first razor.

8. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I find it very annoying to use different razors. When I'm shaving, I get into this groove.. it's what we shaving athletes call "in the zone." Changing razors breaks my momentum. The only I do it is when I use a straight razor for most of the shave and a safety razor for my chin and jawline.

9. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

:rofl Hey, can I get one of those leather jackets with a varsity letter ::

10. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

You keep putting up numbers like you have, you'll get your jacket! ;):D

11. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

When I'm in the zone I only want the best tools and for me that means using either a different fresh blade or a different razor with a fresh blade for the final ATG pass. Changing blades is what breaks my stride, not the razor, so I simply pick up the other razor after lathering, no momentum lost.

12. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Yeah. I like the idea of a fresh sharp razor for my final pass. Although I never go ATG. I think this process will make my best blades last longer. I like the dorko blade. It cuts like butter, but never gives me a close shave. I like my generic Drugstore blade. It gives me a good close shave, but seems to leave me quite bloody. In combination, I get a nice close gentle shave.

Now, a different question. Does anyone flip their blades with each use? I mean take the blade out of the razor and change it. Top of the blade becoming the bottom.

I know most of you are well stocked with blades, and some change blades for every shave. But I am low on my current best blade, and I am in Korea. I can get cheap Dorkos but that is all I have found local.

13. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Have you tried other blades but can't get more or you haven't even tried other blades?

14. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

So far, I have only tried wilkinson, dorko, american personna, and my drugstore brand. I have a large LetterK sampler on the way. Hopefully I will be able to buy those which I find I like.

15. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

In that case, you'll definitely get a much better idea of what works for you. Good luck.

16. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Well I shaved with my old cartridge razor (gillette sensor) the otherday. I can say that a DE on a bad day is better than a cartridge on a good day. Of my four vintage razors, I have one that out preformes the others. I don't know why, but i know that it feels good in my hand and leaves me blood free. But any of my DE razors shave better than my cartridge.

17. Smedley

Smedley New Member

I'll have to try this one of these days for a change of pace. Thanks for the suggestion!

18. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

I am still using two razors for my daily shave and I am very pleased with the result. I think it has been a few months now.

The most difficult part of my face to shave ATG is my upper lip. If the blade is at all marginal in sharpness it will be difficult to get a smooth irritation free shave. Since this is the last part of my shave, the blade has already been compromised by the time I get there. So I believe I will continue with the two razor shave.

19. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

I will always use 2 razors when using a Straight it gives me the best of both worlds.

BBS for the cheeks and throat area with a Str8 .
    and BBS around the upper lip and chin area with a DE.

This is I warn you super pampering styla ! and I only do it when there is absolute no pressure of the day Time stops when im doing these kinds of shaves.

::