Musgo Real - I don't get it

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by OldAF, Jun 6, 2010.

1. OldAF

OldAF New Member

I shaved with this just today and I have to admit that I don't understand the love for this product. The shave was fine but no better than others I've tried. What I really can't get past is the smell. I don't know where reviewers got green, fresh meadows and grass from... because all I smell is Ben Gay ointment. That's right, the sore muscle ointment.
    Can anyone tell me which ingredient produces this distinctive smell?

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Ben Gay... :think002

Never really caught that from the few times that I used it, but of course everybody's sniffer is different.

Ingredients list for Musgo Real Shaving Cream:

Aqua, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Glycerin, Coconut Acid, Parfum, Potassium Silicate, Coconut Oil, Lanolin, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel Extract), Buxus Chinensis (Jojoba oil), Alcohol, Menthol, CI 77007, CI 19140

3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Menthol? Where? I don't feel any, but it's still a damn nice cream. :)

4. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Yeah, the menthol is so far down the list that I don't feel it either, but I do like it a bunch.

crackstar likes this.
  5. crackstar

I was told the Musgo cream was reformulated a few times.

6. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

I have used Musgo Real only once. The smell was very off putting, and I couldn't see myself suffering through the entire tube of it, so I quickly sold it. :D

crackstar likes this.
  7. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Musgo, Ben Gay, and other muscle relaxers

Good one GI but not many of the bloggers understand nor use Ben G; probably they do not understand Geritol nor advil being one of our four major food groups...grain, starch, protein, advil......:rofl

crackstar likes this.
  8. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I like the smell of musgo quite a bit.... it actually reminds me of brut in a way, but much better.

crackstar likes this.
  9. OldAF

OldAF New Member

Huh... I didn't know brut smelled like BenGay. :D

crackstar likes this.
  10. crackstar

As I said before, I cannot understand how menthol can be listed as an ingredient, because there's no cooling effect.

11. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Better than BRUT ??

.................say it aint so, Bossman :sad024

The cream, to me, is OK. Fragrance wise, that is.
    Lather is good and slippery but:
    Its the AS that ROCKS !!

crackstar likes this.
  12. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I'd venture a guess and say the trace amounts that are there are only for it's anesthetic and counterirritant qualities, little as they may be with the amount they use and not for the cooling effect.

Personally, I like the smell of Musgo cream and enjoy using it. It's a rare find when you get a product that makes your shave better, although they are out there and I don't count Musgo as one of those. The longer I shave with a DE the more I believe that technique is 90% of a what makes a good shave.

13. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I like Musgo a lot,I have a couple to tubes. I also think its preshave oil soap is good .Time was when wetshavers considered Proraso, Speick and Musgo creams as 3 Classics every wetshaver had to try. To me all three are excellent imports , widely and easily available, cheaply priced. Can't ask for much more.

crackstar likes this.
  14. OldAF

OldAF New Member

I asked my doc what made BenGay smell like that and he said "Menthol". Wondering why Aqua Velva doesn't smell like BenGay, :D I went looking and sure enough there are different formulations of menthol, some smell and some don't.

http://www.food-info.net/uk/qa/qa-fi71.htm

It could be that the tube of Musgo I have got a big slug of menthol in it somehow or I could be particularly sensitive to the smell. Anyway, that's the best answer I could dig up.

crackstar likes this.
  15. shaveslave

shaveslave Member

your doc has it wrong- the scent is due to the methyl salicylate, better know as oil of wintergreen; similar to wintergreen flavoring in things like gum.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_salicylate

crackstar likes this.
  16. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I tried a sampler of Musgo once. Wasn't impressed with the shave. Kind of dry if memory serves. I was still kind of new to creams at that time so my water ratios may have been off. Don't remember much about the smell, but the AS is fairly good. Not tops on my list but decent none the less.

crackstar likes this.
  17. BullGoose

BullGoose Well-Known Member

Better Ben Gay than Preparation H. :shocked003 Seriously...I like Musgo Real shave cream but cannot use it. The lanolin irritates my face.

crackstar likes this.
  18. shaveslave

shaveslave Member

well, if you have any left maybe you can use the musgo on your 'rhoids?

crackstar likes this.
  19. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I like the scent - but taste differs. 'nuff said :D

crackstar likes this.
  20. Oblio13

Oblio13 New Member

Smells like hay to me, I like it.

crackstar likes this.