"Must Have" DE Safety Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mark_s, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

First, Hello to all, as this is my first post. I'm not new to DE shaving, because I did so until some time in the '80's. So, I've returned after a few decades. I should add that when I last shaved (until about 2 weeks ago) with a safety razor, I used a Gillette adjustable, Gillette blades, and Barbasol cream. Likewise, until recently, I did no real prep, and considered shaving a chore.

That all changed when I became interested in dumping the expensive plastic razors, and shaving the way I remembered from years ago.

My initial few "starter" purchases, were:
    An Edwin Jagger DE89L.
    A Parker 99R.
    Derby and Shark blades.
    Proraso shaving soap.
    And Escali badger brush.

I couldn't be happier. Rather than being a chore, shaving is now a pleasure. And, with some pre-shave prep, and a 2 or even 3 pass shave, and I'm getting better shaves than ever. If there's any downside, it's that like other hobbies, razor and supply acquisition is addictive. ;) That brings me to my question:

Are there any DE safety razors that you feel are essential in anyone's collection? As with my other hobby (firearms/primarily handguns), I don't see me becoming a collector of vintage razors that I'll enjoy just looking at. I like to put what I acquire to use (no "safe queens", or in this case, "display case queens"). So, for rotation through day to day shaving, what razor or razors, shouldn't I be missing out on?

Thanks!

Mark

Keithmax likes this.
  2. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

Stop before it's too late! You've got a nice set up as it is, leave now! Enjoy what you have, but sign off from this place asap or you'll end up just like the sorry rest of us...

3. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

Or you might consider a Gillette adjustable, they are all okay: fat boy, slim, super adjustable).
    A nice Schick injector should be there, too.
    Older Gillettes are nice.

Oh, and welcome back to happy shaving!

Terry Williams and brit like this.
  4. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

There are so many razors but you already have the highly recommended Edwin Jagger DE89L.But just keep reading this site you may find that razor that interests you.

5. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Where do I start!!!!!
    The iconic modern razors I will never part with:

Merkur Futur
    Ikon Bulldog Open Comb
    Merkur Slant
    and finally not a DE.....but you MUST try a Feather Artist Club!

6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

As mentioned you have a great set up, there are some must razors if your a collector, but for me if it looks nice and shaves nice then I'm happy. also depends how deep you want to get (as mentioned get out while you can lol)
    Its nice to have or at least try an adjustable razor either vintage or modern as mentioned by ajdhn.Fat boy and slims are very similar with fat boys being more expensive (I have both, and tend to reach for the FB more often) all my razors are in my rotation, none are display items. you click the red link below to see what I'm using at the moment. also check out the shave of the day thread lots of pics of daily use razors may give you some ideas:)
    I also have an el89l and it really is a great razor.

7. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Go back to the basics. Gillette '04 war years or before( not the ball end). Or the Gillette ABC razors from about the same years. You won't be sorry.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Gillette Super Adjustable.

9. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

Thanks! My Dad's still shaving with a Gillette Black Handle Super Adjustable (1983 mfg date), and that has a nice feel to it. I may go on a quest for one of those, or a Fat Boy, as they too seem to come highly recommended. You're right though. The fact that I am here, is an indication that I'm in too deep. :)

10. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

Thank you. That's probably #1 on my list.

11. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

Thanks. I'm not sure what I'll get out of the additional razors I'm sure to purchase, but I believe it's like most obsessions: the quest for perfection. We know that doesn't exist, but it hasn't stopped me from trying to find it. :) You've got a nice collection of gear, and the Muhle R-41 is another that's currently on my wish list. That, and a sampler pack of blades.

alpla444 likes this.
  12. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

Thanks to all that responded. I have gotten some good ideas from your posts, and am on the road to ruin, and increasingly better shaves. :)

13. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

Your dad knows what he is doing :)
    What does he think of you moving back to DE razors?

Last summer I used my black handle super for months in a row, very nice razor.

14. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Greetings and :signs046: to the Den. Great start to your classic wet shaving. It is a slippery slope into lathering madness, enjoy it.

15. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

The R-41 is very good, 2 pass and touch up for a BBS shave!! its aggressive alright, but I love my 59 fatboy even though its worth about 3 times as much as theR-41, To me its kinda worth it but they are very different shaves, the good thing is if I ever want to sell any of my razors id pretty much get my money back for em (which kinda justifies the purchase, to me) is sort of risk free except when I keep em I suppose lol,
    I had a friend in to guns and im sure your the same where you have way more kit than you need kinda the same with shaving.

16. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

Rolls :D
    DSCN1294.JPG

brit, Paulie and Asd like this.
  17. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

:signs011: I simply love my Rolls! :love029: And yeah, the proposals of the others are great as well.
    For the rest: look around. Read about the experiences of others and see what you like. Because in the end it's your choice. The razor that I adore, might be the one that you abhor or that doesn't 'fit' you: YMMV. :)

But most of all: have fun! Welcome to the Den and many happy shavings!

18. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

Did he shoot his whiskers into BBS? :)

19. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

I wish I could remember which Gillette I had used way back when. It may have been a Fat Boy (damn). Anyway, he got a chuckle out of the fact that I not only went back to a DE razor, but adopted a brush and soap as my method of lathering up. It's kinda funny, as he uses cream in a can, and I'm trying to convince him to go to a brush and soap (he's 81, I'm 55).

brit and ajdhn like this.
  20. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

Thanks much. I think what I missed most about it, was the feeling of a warm razor on my face, as opposed to plastic. The weight, balance, and the heat, make a world of difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.