Mustache Wax ? What should I buy ?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by newb, Jan 24, 2014.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

Gentlemen,

I'm am trying for a classic handlebar mustache. Having been clean shaven for many years I'm entering into territory I've never been. I've actually grown a pretty manly goatee, It's time to trim off the goat and let the mustache develop. What's a good wax and how do I train this bushy boy ? Any suggestions and help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PanChango likes this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Steve (swarden) is our resident handlebar expert. I'm sure he'll be along shortly.

Dapper-in-a-can-man and newb like this.
  3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I have a few moustache wax reviews I tossed up here last year. I think you can find them on my profile under created threads. Firehouse and Foad were my favourites though.

newb likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Can't go wrong with Firehouse Wacky Tacky. Buy it directly from their site Firehouse Moustache Wax (they also have a link on application) or from West Coast Shaving and toss a couple other goodies in your cart while you're at it. :signs136:

Stay away from the Pinaud Clubman wax you see at the drugstore - too thin, very little hold.

The Handlebar Club over in the UK has a site that is one of the best I've seen - pics, wax reviews, FAQs, how to apply. Great stuff.

I make my own using bees wax and Vaseline. See here ---> *click*

To use any wax, I soften (not liquid) it with a hair dryer, apply to my 'bars, use the dryer on my 'stache to really liquify the wax, comb it out, then shape.

Don't, DO NOT, trim it. Naturally you'll go through what I called the "Geraldo" stage where it's wild and nearly unmanageable. Give it time. How long? Can't say; everyone's beard/hair/'stache grows differently.

fram773 and newb like this.
  5. richgem

The Geraldo Stage, Steve?! Thanks for that mental picture. Brain bleach please!

PatrickA51, fram773 and CyanideMetal like this.
  6. Neolithium

7. swarden43

I jus' callz 'em az I seez 'em. :D

8. richgem

/cry

9. swarden43

Glad to help, but that wasn't me doing the glass. More than likely it was Dale, aka PanChango. I have a coaster he made with a DE blade in it.

Keep us updated with how the bars are coming along. And if you have any questions, feel free to ask, be glad to help.

10. richgem

This thread will be useless without pictures. :D

fram773 likes this.
  11. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I can picture it now. lol :drool:

12. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

I am also growing out my moustache with the intent of going full handle bar and have been looking for some wax. The other day I took a walk down to a local tobacconist that caries some wet shaving supplies to see if they had any moustache wax, and they did. I was not expecting the price they had on it though, $17 for a 15ml tin? I imagine the wax would last for quite awhile, but that seem a little much to me. After some internet window shopping, it looks like that is averageish price.

How long should a tin of wax last? I've also read that the clubman is not a strong holding, but it is considerably less expensive then some of the other waxes I've seen, is it worth getting?

13. swarden43

Clubman - No! I used Firehouse Wacky Tacky with great results.

Go back up to post #4.

14. Neolithium

Do yourself a favour and avoid Clubman wax like the PLAGUE! It's terrible stuff, you're far better off going with one of the other people such as Fat Jacks, Foad or Firehouse. Oh almost forgot Bounders if you like scented stuff. :)

15. TSimons

I'm not too sure I want anything scented right under my noes just yet. :)

16. TSimons

OK, Clubman is out.

Right now it's a bit of a toss up between Firehouse Wacky Tacky, Foad or the localy available Edwin Jager...

17. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

You can make your own very easily too - a 50/50 mix of beeswax and Vaseline. Add a drop or two of whatever essential oil you like...if you like.

18. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

I've used PPF and found out to hold less than clubman

19. TSimons

Well, I just ordered a tin of Firehouse Wacky Tacky. I guess I could start thinking about getting/posting some pictures of growing the handlebar....

20. TSimons

I'm still waiting for my wax to get here, but this is what I've got right now...

[​IMG]