Mutt and Jeff 2 Band Delights

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GDCarrington, Mar 30, 2014.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Due to a lot of issues in the past year or so, my brush restorations and production has been severely curtailed, but this week I decided to take some time to finish a long term personal project. When I obtained the short brush a couple of years ago it was a Generation 1 nylon fiber synthetic brush. The fibers were as if it were brand new even after 60 years of age. The larger Plymouth brush I obtained early last year. It had a very long boar knot and had been used as a dusting brush by a barber since it had talcum deep in the knot. When I saw both together in the box, I began to have a plan that would link the two together with Custom Two Band Badger knots I received from a supplier who will remain unnamed. Given the facts that poly(methyl methacrylate) known by DuPont's patented name "Lucite" and DuPont "Nylon" were not developed until the mid to late 1930s these materials were expensive to produce initially. The outbreak of World War II allowed for investment for mass production to bring down the costs of both plastic materials. With the war completed the now excess production was turned to consumer goods so we can safely ascertain that these brushes were both made after the war.

http://www.bpf.co.uk/plastipedia/plastics_history/default.aspx

http://sharpologist.com/2012/09/syn...ow-they-relate-to-shaving-brushes-part-1.html

As I stated earlier, I had a plan and a name for these two brushes. Given the size differential and the fact that they seem to have some commonality and I like nostalgia, I decided to name these brushes Mutt and Jeff.

So I introduce to you my new brushes Mutt and Jeff.

[​IMG]
    Here is a quick synopsis of what Mutt and Jeff was and is ...

Mutt and Jeff was a long-popular American newspaper comic strip created by cartoonist Bud Fisher in 1907 about "two mismatched tinhorns." It is commonly regarded as the first daily comic strip.

Augustus Mutt is a tall, dimwitted racetrack character - a fanatic horse-race gambler who is motivated by greed. Mutt has a wife, known only as Mrs. Mutt (Mutt always referred to her as "M'love") and a son named Cicero. Mutt first encountered the half-pint Jeff, an inmate of an insane asylum who shares his passion for horseracing, in 1908. They appeared in more and more strips together until the strip abandoned the horse-race theme, and concentrated on Mutt's other outlandish, get-rich-quick schemes. Jeff usually served as a (sometimes unwilling) partner. Jeff was short, bald as a billiard ball, and wore mutton chop sideburns. He has no last name, stating his name is "just Jeff — first and last and always it's Jeff." However, at one point late in the strip's life, he is identified in the address of a cablegram as "Othello Jeff." He has a twin brother named Julius.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutt_and_Jeff

For those who have never seen Mutt and Jeff, or have forgotten what they looked like here are some comic book covers to complete the reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The short brush of unknown stock and origin does not have a pedigree or name associated with it so the fact that Jeff did not have a pedigree or even a first name in the early comics makes the association even stronger. The tall brush has a name with some distinction of "Plymouth." Tall Mr. Mutt has a distinctive first name of "Augustus," so that makes the association stronger as well.

Both brushes were completed yesterday and are in the process of at least a 48 hour curing of the epoxy. Soon I shall have this pair in my permanent rotation.

[​IMG]
    Thanks for viewing.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    IDuck, Joelio, wristwatchb and 24 others like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Wow... droolishious, Gary. I really like the amber handles.

3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Those look great. I remember seeing Mutt & Jeff Comics in Old Newspapers in my Grandmothers Garage. I don't know what ever happened to them.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Very nice looking brushes Gary. Well Done.

PatrickA51 and GDCarrington like this.
  5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Those are magnificent Gary! The handles look so ambery you'd be expecting to find an encased prehistoric mosquito...

PatrickA51 and GDCarrington like this.
  6. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Or some other insect. LOL

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Nice looking handles GD.
    At first glance I would have thought the amber part was cellulose acetate.
    Great looking pair, congratulations.

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I weep.

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Thanks!

10. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

VERY well done! Thank you for sharing.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Outstanding.

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Whoa! Um... I really like both! Sweetness!

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Thanks!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

You do very nice work Gary. Enjoy the fruits of your labors.

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. boxerman

boxerman Active Member

Awesome brushes.

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Those are both great Gary!!

GDCarrington likes this.
  17. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice work first off...

and an informative and enjoyable read to share my morning "Cup o Joe" with

*tip of the hat my friend*

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

The Master has done it again! Mutt is just flat out stunning.

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Thanks gents!

Bobcat likes this.
  20. nascarfandan

nascarfandan Active Member

Simply put sir. ... you do some really great work. May you get many years of pleasure with those.