MWF -- Oh boy

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DesertTime, Feb 10, 2010.

1. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I resisted MWF for over a year now, mostly because of its reputation as a difficult soap with hard water. There are folks on this forum that I have high regard for that swear by it, so I had to give it a try.

I'm glad I did. I shaved with it twice and played with a bit by lathering in my hand. It has the creamy texture of Tabac with the slickness of Proraso. I had no problem, even with my abhorrent water, developing a rich, creamy lather (face lathering). I have not tried bowl lathering with it yet, but I almost always face lather.

One recommendation for those thinking about trying this superior soap, save some money and buy just the puck. The ceramic bowl is really not worth the $20+ it typically costs. The soap doesn't fit snugly in the bowl -- something I'm anal about. I ended up grating it and packing the overpriced bowl. This is one very hard soap!

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Welcome soon to be Fat Lover!
    The soap does grow as it absorbs water the first few uses and will fill the bowl even if you don't grate it.

3. DesertTime

Oh. Well, I needed the aerobic workout grating that very hard puck.

4. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

I too have resisted the fat for quite some time. My plan was to put it in the Fall/Winter rotation and by a puck for my BD in October. I planned on simply buying the refill puck and grating it into a recycled TSD jar (those are the bomb by the way)

5. DesertTime

GI,

I doubt you'll regret it. I typically find a soap I like and stick with it for a long time. I'll try others, but usually end up back with a favourite. It was Tabac for quite some time now. But I see MFW in my future.

yeah, I love the TSD jars, too. They're worth the price of what JoAnna charges for the soap. You buy a cool jar and she throws in an excellent soap.

6. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

I've been curious about Mitchell's for some time now. The only problem is that I don't have any room for it right now. If I somehow manage to burn thorugh both of the soaps I have now and what's left of the creams I have before the next SOTQ comes in, I'll buy some wool fat. I don't see that happening, so I think it'll be quite a while until I get to try it.

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

You clearly need a bigger cabinet :happy102

8. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

That would open up a whole new can o' worms!

9. DesertTime

I don't want to appear to have the zeal of a fresh convert, but...

You could build a new new cabinet/shrine just for the MFW.:D
    (just kidding, of course)

10. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

Or I could start throwing out some of the crap my roommates have sitting around in the bathroom. Hmmm...

Actually, I'll probably just wait until I finish off the tin of Kell's Original that I have so I can buy just the puck of MWF and put it in the empty tin. I'm going through that stuff much quicker than I thought I would.

The price of the MWF that comes in its own container is just ridiculously high in my eyes.

11. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

12. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

Congrats on finding the Fat :D

I don't have fidelity with any soap, but MWF is definitely in my top 3.

13. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

That, good sir, is no cabinet. It's a panic room. Or possibly a bomb shelter.

I can see the ads now: "For the discerning gentleman who wants complete solitude (and protection from radioactive fallout) while shaving, trust only AAR."

14. DesertTime

15. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Really, I prefer the stability and safety of an underground bomb shelter shave shack :D.

16. JimR

JimR Active Member

Now THAT'S an Idea....

17. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

+1 on that :happy088

18. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

I am definately going to try a puck of Mitchells Wool Fat shave soap. I see a lot of posts raving about it and no negatives. I heard that it's a BIG puck and thats a good value as well. The reviews all say it really makes your skin soft. :happy005

19. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

You will occasionally find someone with really hard water who can't get it to lather well. But we had a thread a few months back of people list favorite soaps and it was the on more peoples lists than any other soap.

20. freebird

freebird Active Member

I also had been wanting to try MWF, but never could find a puck at the right price or when I had money in my pocket lol. When Lee (Hoglahoo) & I met to go through the grab bag I noticed a puck of MWF in some of Lee's supplies he had with him. I asked how he liked it and said that I had been curious about it. Lee said to take it and try it. So I did, and it has made it into my regular rotation. ATM my top three soaps are Ogallala Bay Rum TGQ's Cavendish Black and MWF. Thanks Lee!