My 2nd shavette attempt....

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Hoss304, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

So I was feeling a little brave after watching some YouTube . Thought to myself I can do this. New Personna lab blue installed. Whipped up some Williams Mug and off I went. My first pass down was "ok" . So my determination level went up a notch. Tried for a ATG . Everything was going good then SLICE. I just can't seem to get past WTG. This was similar to my first try many moons ago. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Came looking for blood. Was not disappointed! Or, sadly, surprised.

I have my own shavette scar. I eventually mastered the shavette, though I will never be a fan of the DE blade variety. Too unforgiving.

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm sorry about the cut, but don't a few shaves deter you from shavettes. Don't expect perfection at first. Stick with WTG shaves for awhile. Master shaving one part of your face before moving to the next. Skin stretching is important. If you're watching YouTube, check out the videos with the barbers using shavettes on their customers. They stretch the skin before every stroke.

You can always finish your shave with your favorite DE razor while you are learning. It gets better and easier with practice. They can be a lot of fun once you master them and then you can shave with any razor. I recently picked up a Parker SRX shavette and like everything about how it handles and shaves.

Congrats for starting the journey and have fun! :)

SOTD_031018.jpg

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    In my experience, a straight is easier to master than a shavette. However, after you have some experience with straights, shavettes are a bit easier to handle. As said by @PLANofMAN above, they are "too unforgiving." My DE shavettes are my least favorite. I like my Weck Sextoblade, though.

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm a big chicken and lazy. Too lazy for a straight (honing stropping and investment). That said if I try a shavette it'll be an IBC.

6. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

Try this.It is what I usually do.
    Pass 1-with the grain
    Pass 2-go east-west/left right whatever you want to call it.
    Pass 3-go diagonal top-bottom
    this usually will give a DFS
    Going atg with a shavette requires a very delicate light touch IMO.Usually when I get bit it is when I go to the opposite cheek from the razor hand or swap to the non-dominant hand.Usually the angle is slightly off when I swap like that and I have to pay close attention or a slice will result.:shocked003:

Also the type of shavette you are using I find to be less forgiving of error.The slide lock type with the wedge/triangular cross section is more forgiving as you can use the angle of the cross section as a guide for the angle of attack.If you want to try one they can be found for a few dollars on line.Though I picked mine up in a Korean Beauty Supply store for less than 4 bucks and I think it came with a pack of excreable Dorco blades.It is my preferred tool as opposed to my swing lock shavettes.Also the plastic and wood bodied ones are easier to control than the all steel versions IMO.Many people fell the heavier ones are more steady but I find they are harder to correct when you feel the bite start.

YMMV
    good luck

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Edison Carter, AGHisBBS and Hoss304 like this.
  7. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

If this is your second shave, DO NOT attempt anything other than with the grain. Give it a few weeks and enjoy "acceptable" shaves for now.

8. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

I will give it another go once I heal up. As you can see in pic my neck doesn't like it either haha. I won't give up .I just got way too brave .

9. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

I completely agree with this post. I had shaved for almost 2 years with my straight razor before giving shavette a a try. Definitely drew blood my fair share of times, but I felt like I was able to get a better shave faster since I had experience with straight razors! Never give up, never surrender!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edison Carter likes this.
  10. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

My first post here, but I used my Feather SS yesterday for my first SR shave. I've been using GEM razors as a tutor for a couple months or less. I found this time spent paid off yesterday. That and watching Italian Barber videos.

I found this video providing information on holding and using a straight that I will pass long if acceptable.

Keithmax likes this.
  11. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

I shaved 10 times with a shavette, than i got me a straigth honed on a coticule and man, what a relief it was!

Now, i shave verry occasionaly with a shavette and it works without scarring myself, but its never a comfortable shave,...

Keithmax likes this.
  12. Chuck Naill

I would do the same except for having to sharpen the razor. The Feather allows me to experience a SR without the other needed tasks and equipment. I might change my mind later.

13. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Maintenance is not that difficult. Quite a few people keep a razor sharp with a strop and a pasted strop.

14. Chuck Naill

Okay, I will check it out. I would like to find a John Watts Sheffield or Henkel's with a French tip that has a narrow blade as I think this would work best fo me.