My 60's model Gillette slim

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Terry, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

No I did not know about the quarter turn.
    This morning I set the razor using thre quarter turn, that made the chatter much less. The chatter is not gone, but greatly reduced. I am careful about how tight I twist the handles so I wouln't have found thar on my own. I still have it at a 9 setting but the blade has 2 shaves on it so a fair comparison will be a new feather blade next time.
    Thank you

tp

Frijolero likes this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Run it on 9 and be done.
    No reason for an "adjustment" I believe that @wchnu has a video about the super adjustables.
    Also, I would be remiss if I did not ask if you have ever been across the street to read the forum there?
    If you like the single edge stuff, have a look.

Terry likes this.
  3. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

I like most razors I have tried and a SE is on the radar along with a good strait. I can see why there are adjutable razors but I found I like mine in high gear with a feather blade. The gem is the first se I got and that was by chance. It shaves nice, the blade is stiff like the slants I have but selection of blades is limited so I get what I can. I have the RR v2 in the wish list with a fatip pico. Just waiting to get through the other razors I have not used yet.
    Thanks

tp

4. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Ok
    New to me 64 gillette slim on #9 with a new feather blade, and that 1/4 turn too.
    This will be in the rotation of razors!
    I'm surprised by how well it works.

I'm a 1 pass cold water shaver, only get 2 shaves with a blade. I don't get 3 unless I forget to change the blade. IF the blade gets to pulling and the like, I change the blade, even if I'm more than half way through. I don't like the irritatoin/pain/blood of a dull blade.
    Only 7 months into WS and thats where I've landed.
    Every one,
    Thanks for all of the help!
    tp

Frijolero likes this.
  5. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Oh,
    I'll have a hundred feathers, a $1.99 fatboy, and an amici on ice please, to go. ;)
    Thanks
    tp

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I found a bakelite handle. The metal handle I have is nickle plated not brass color. Interested in either.

7. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

YES,
    The baklite would be the one I would choose. I have other metal ones but I like the bakelite on the phoenix oc slant I have.
    tp

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesome. Pop me a addy and I will get it out to you soon!!

9. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

20180920_173502.jpg
    YES!
    WCHNU
    Thanks!

tp

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018 at 5:54 PM
  10. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Frijolero and Jayaruh like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  12. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Ok
    Going one further I filed one top down as you can see side by side.
    20180922_173213.jpg

Then I screwed it to a maggard slant head I bought making a good handle for it.

20180922_173339.jpg

Easy, cheap, nice
    Thanks again for the ideal.
    ;)
    tp

Jayaruh likes this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That makes for an awesome cheap handle.