My Alum Block

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Jayaruh, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I wrote the following on my blog last January. Thought you might be interested:

I used Osma Alum Block for the first time July 31, 2014. I have used it every day since for over a year and a half. I bought a replacement a couple of months ago, but it sits by idly waiting patiently for me to use up the first block.

[​IMG]
    The one on the left is my original block after 18 months of shaves.
    Picture taken January 18, 2016

Osma Alum Block is made from potassium alum, The blocks are a natural astringent for closing minor shaving nicks. It is a staple for any shaver looking for a natural aftershave to add to the shaving regiment.
    To use after shaving, I rub the block gently over my wet face to reduce shaving irritation.

[​IMG]

Update: April 6, 2016

[​IMG]

My alum block is getting pretty thin. I don't think it will reach the 2 year mark, but it is going to get close. I will use it until it breaks and then I will switch over to the new block.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

That's some bang for the buck.

Tdmsu, Robyflexx and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I use an Alum stick like this CBD-30003-1.jpg To me its easier to store and use. I also don't need to order it since its sold at local stores.

4. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Do you use it as a deodorant, too? or just for after shaving.

5. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Just for shaving. I don't like the crystal sticks for deodorant. They feel weird.

RaZorBurn123 and Jayaruh like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    :happy088: That thing should last for years and years.

Robyflexx and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

You have to be one of the very few in all of shavedom that has actually used up an entire block without the pre-mature death due to droppage. Congratulations.

Taipan, jeraldgordon, ninjack and 7 others like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I am surprised at that also. At this point, I make sure my hands are completely dry before I pick up the block. I just press it against my wet skin and rub it all over the shaved area. It is too thin to try to hold the edges. If my hands are dry, I can apply the alum block pretty efficiently. It is getting pretty thin though. I don't know how much longer it will last. When it breaks, I will revisit this thread and let you know.

Robyflexx, mrchick, Red Rider and 3 others like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I can't even get one delivered to my house in one piece. 0 for 2 so far. At least the second one was about a 2/3 hunk I can use.

10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

:signs011:

Jayaruh, Red Rider and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Even the alum blocks sold in plastic boxes? A man has a God-given right to an unbroken alum block. :)

12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

First one was an Osma like Jayaruh's and came in about 25 pieces. Second one I paid a couple extra bucks for the RazoRock in the travel case, and about a third of it looked like rock salt. The leftover piece works fine, and I don't use it every day, so good enough.

Shaver X and Jayaruh like this.
  13. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I've ordered these potassium alum items from Turkey. One block and a pack of 10 sticks. My first alum block so hard to compare to others.

Alum.jpg

Jayaruh likes this.
  14. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I also use these. They're like $4 at Whole Foods.

Jayaruh and Red Rider like this.
  15. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I also use daily. In addition it just makes the face feel great. I also have a extra new block on hand in case I drop the in use one.

Jayaruh likes this.
  16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I got my alum block from the local Art of Shaving store. It costs a lot more than buying online, but the block was unbroken. When it is used up, I will buy from a cutlery store that sells wetshaving gear. A good solution for those of us who have such a store nearby.

Jayaruh likes this.
  17. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

That is pretty amazing that you did not drop the alum or even it breaking from natural causes. My hat's off to ya Jim, good job.

Jayaruh likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thank you. It is my first alum block and it has surprised me, too. I didn't expect it to last this long, and I had no idea that so many people had such bad luck with theirs.
    I don't keep mine in a container. I set it on top of my home-made blade bank where it dries naturally for the next day.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  19. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Love the Osma. Been using one for quite some time. You used your's quite a bit more than I did! Congrats on working your way thru that salt lick! That in itself is quite and achievement.

Jayaruh likes this.
  20. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

It is good to dry it out after use. Alum is something I used when I first started wet shaving, but now I may give it another shot.

Jayaruh and Robyflexx like this.