My Brush Repairs, Restorations & Builds

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Enrico, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you. I myself (not sure of others) mask handle around old knot (to protect handle) and cut bristles even with top of handle. Then I use a Dremel to clean out remaining of knot and glue. Sometime I use Dremel with drum sanding to finish clean opening. I use a step bit to bore it to new diameter.

9nein9, MoAllen and RyX like this.
  2. deezle

deezle Member

Great work on these brushes!

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Which dremel bit do you use to clean out the rest of the knot?

9nein9 likes this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you!

These seem to work nicely in my Dremel; from the Depot ...

dc700365-566c-4ee6-b9b8-6ea826332088_1000.jpg

:signs011:

9nein9 and RyX like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thank you for the info...I will soon be on a quest to the De-pot!!

9nein9 and Enrico like this.
  6. ojustme

ojustme New Member

OmegaPro10048.jpg Omega Pro 10048 Boar Hair knot in a The Golden Nib 28mm shaving brush handle.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    9nein9 likes this.
  7. ojustme

ojustme New Member

Only a few brushes that I have restored and/or re-knotted.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    TommyCarioca, 9nein9, MoAllen and 2 others like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have lots of fun doing it and keeps me out of trouble (more or less). ;)

Bubbablade, 9nein9 and Jim99 like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I was informed that I need to update my restorations .... well here it goes.

It all started in the tail end of October when I purchase a neat little shaving brush produced by Dox made in Germany.

p-8.jpg

Well when I received it, the condition was amazing, so I decided to revive the boar bristle through a little soak in conditioner. Here's some famous last words "Seemed like a good idea at the time". D'oh! Maybe some of you saw this coming a mile away, like when the child in church says there tummy hurts then their eyes get real big. Well as I said the brush was marked Germany, NOT east or west, just Germany. That should have told me pre 1945 meaning bakelite or wood. It did feel like plastic, but it wasn't. This is what happened when exposed to too much moisture ...

IMG_0553.JPG

That was enough to make me sick, so I dried it off and placed it on a shelf as a pattern for a future brush.

Six months later I pick i off the shelf thinking, I wish I could salvage it somehow, when I realized it wasn't made in one piece. What's this a glimmer of hope?

IMG_0554.JPG

So now armed with hope, I glued neck (ferrel) back together. Glueing, clamping with a rubber band and stretched electrical tape, I made repairs.

IMG_0555.JPG

With cracks in the paint I chose to strip it and epoxy the neck back to the body to re-enforce the repairs, prior to removing the clamping on the neck.

IMG_0557.JPG

It's made of Beach (makes sense it's made in Germany). I let it fully cure, removed the clamps and finish stripping and sanding.

IMG_0558.JPG

I thought about going natural, but the glue in the crack, left a fine black line (yes I'm too fussy), so going with dye and inking.

As always ... More to come :D

BigMark83, battle.munky and MoAllen like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Here's the German Dox all Dyed and inked; followed up with a soaking coat of teak oil.

IMG_0560.JPG

It'll be getting a few more coats and buffed between.

More to come ... :D

11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

looking good....

12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:thanks:, sir. :eatdrink013:

9nein9 likes this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Very nice!

14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you Jim, I enjoy a challenge.:D

9nein9 likes this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Sorry for the delay, but here it is ...

IMG_0580.JPG

Stripped, repaired, epoxied, dyed, inked, teak oil 3x, and 22mm synthetic knot installed. Now too pretty for me to use; I prefer the ugly ducklings.

As always ... more to come :D

16. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

Go ahead and use it. When it gets beat up and worn, refurbish it again.

I do like the green handle with the light colored knot.

17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

nice job....

18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

It looks great!
    :happy088:

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well I know what your saying, but its like this ... my favorite brush is my Hardright Davy Jones and I'm kind of a minimalist. I also like the green, but I the next one will be either blue or yellow.

Thank you.

Thanks.

9nein9 and CarlfromMO like this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well heres a few more ...
    Ever Ready's ... three 150's, one 100 and a 200M
    IMG_0587.JPG
    They were fairly straight forward in restoring them sanding out the horizontal line in the 100 and 150's, weight, polish and re-knot. On the other hand the 200M was rather beat as you can see here. Sorry only before picture I have is from the seller.
    s-l1600-22-2.jpg
    I found that it wasn't just stained it was spaulding or delaminating. So I preceded to sand it ... a lot; I do mean a lot! Well it looks nice, but it may spauld more in the future. So that means I'll be PIFing it on here in the near future. No ... I don't PIF junk, but I never had plans of keeping it.

I bored them out and re-knotted them with 22mm synthetic knots, so nice and soft. They all have a great weight, but I like the feel of the "bobber" style ones more only due to size.

As always ... more to come :D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017