My experience using a Merkur 37C Slant Bar razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by 178-bplatoon, Sep 13, 2014.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Well I finally got to try a Merkur 37C slant bar, I got one off ebay last week for what I thought was a pretty fair price ($45)including s&h, so I thought I'd give my impressions on using it. My normally used and at this time favorite razors are a Weber DLC w/BullDog handle, a Gillete "NEW" OC on a greistshaving ""FAT" handle and a Cadet OC on a Maggard SS MR8 handle.

Although I much prefer a 3 piece razor over a 2 piece, as I find a 3 piece "MUCH" easier to load and unload, as well as having other advantages over a 2 piece, I had little trouble loading and squaring the blade(I used a Viking's Sword).
    The razors length was good, as was the knurling, but I found the razor weight on the light side for my taste.

First shave and things began to degrade, damn thing bit me severely on the chin right off the bat(I haven't drawn blood of any kind with a DE in well over a year). I also had mild razor burn after every shave, another thing I haven't felt in quite a long time! While the end result of the shaves were close, the shave itself was rather harsh, unpleasant and required more care than I usually have to use, in short the shave was unenjoyable for me "YMMV"! After using the Slant Bar for a week I'm done, I've found "NO" advantages and several disadvantages to using it over my current razors. I will keep the 37C for display and a possible revisit in the far future, I won't however, as a rule, be shaving with it any longer.

While I'm certainly glad to have had an opportunity to try a Merkur 37C slant bar and I did get it at a decent price, that unfortunately is about the best I can say about the experiment!:( My experience with the 37C reinforces my belief that's it's not about the equipment, but rather the relationship between the equipment including soap, shaving technique and your face that are the most important factors in getting a close, irritation free and enjoyable "traditional" shave. Simply put the closer all three are in synch the better the shave.
    So while "I" didn't find shaving nirvana with the 37C, surprisingly perhaps, I do think that if you take your time and follow good shaving technique and your face agrees, making a 37C your first safety razor, is as good a choice as any. :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    Slow Joe, Ryan B, Bristle Me and 3 others like this.
  2. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I tried a slant and feel your pain. The same thing happened to me. I was getting some serious razor burn so I started trying other blades but never could achieve the shave I wanted. I gave the thing away and went back to my standard razors. I don't know why I even tried being I was already getting great shaves....

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Eddie, I 'm glad you finally had the chance to try a slant bar razor. Sorry it didn't pan out for you.
    I agree with your statement here. One can get an enjoyable shave with most any razor out there—providing the right technique, good soap, and blade-match are all in perfect synch. Some razors seem to 'fit' easier with certain people. Maybe it's their technique, their skin type, their sensitivity, whatever. I know plenty of folks who love the FaTips. They never agreed withe me. Many avoid the Mühle R41. I love that razor! I also enjoyed immensely the use of the slant bars. I preferred the larger, heavier 39c vs the smaller, lighter 37c. Some folks though, as you discovered, had a harder go with them initially. I get that.

I like your idea of setting it aside and maybe revisiting it again possibly at a later date. Too often we all give up on a product before we give it a thorough chance.
    Who knows? Maybe 6 months down the road, you'll have a different experience. ;)

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

You simply MUST try!!:) I am perfectly happy with my current DE razors and blades and have been for well over a year(I've been "traditional" shaving for almost 3 years now), BUT, if you can afford it, you just gotta try the others.:happy108:

BigT likes this.
  5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I had pretty much the same feelings about slants. I sold off my 39c and Ikon. It wasn't that I couldn't get a decent shave with them. Just not as good as lots of other razors for me.

Dark Vapor and BigT like this.
  6. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I've only tried the bakelite slant and is very fond of it. I've been thinking about trying another slant bar, but have yet to pull the trigger.
    Maybe I will wait a little while longer :)

BigT likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I had a slant and sold it for the very reasons you expressed. Just not for me.

8. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I love my 37C. I consistently get great shaves with it.

Is the blade alignment consistent? Maybe you got a dud.
    Hopefully a different blade will be more forgiving.

Bristle Me likes this.
  9. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I too am a fan of the 37C.
    If a meeting or other commitment is on the agenda where I'm required to stand and speak,
    I try to look my absolute best. It's at these times when I prefer to use the slant.
    When paired with a new Astra SP, it is incredibly smooth and is certainly a 2 pass razor.
    I will admit however, that while it is extremely efficient, it's also extremely unforgiving.
    My first experience with it was not good. In just one shave it taught me to slow down. Way down.
    I also only use Tabac soap with the slant. For me, Tabac is about the slickest, most protective soap
    that there is, and the slant requires it. I've not had any blade alignment problems, but I check all my DE
    razors when I load a new blade now. It's just become habit.
    Eddie, I'm sorry to hear that the 37 didn't work out, but I think you are doing the right thing
    by holding on to it. In a year or two it may become something you really like.

Best wishes, and

Happy Shaving!! :bounce017:

Slow Joe and Dark Vapor like this.
  10. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

I also own a Merkur 37C slant. I have found that it really irritates my neck area, regardless of the blade or cream/soap I use.
    I much prefer my open comb razors. The Razorock Jaws and the Muhle R41 are two of my favorites.
    We all have different faces, so YMMV.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm by no means an authority
    I do use a 39c pretty often. someone warned or cautioned me to keep the handle more parallel to my skin.
    while I normally rely on auditory feedback, I sorta remembered that when using the sledgehammer.
    if you try it again, this may help. I hope it does for you.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  12. shave/brush

shave/brush Active Member

That's funny. I use a 37c once in awhile and I find it to be the smoothest razor I ever used. Even using blades I usually don't like, such as a Merkur blade which I think are the worst, in the 37c they are smooth as silk. It's a matter of technique. Once you find the right angle and the right amount of pressure, it should go smooth. It's a great razor.

13. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I only tried a Bakelite slant twice. Both of those shaves were very uncomfortable. Good thing I was only borrowing the slant.

14. shave/brush

Some slants are smoother than others. The Merkur 37c is a very smooth shaving razor. I think it could be the smoothest razor in the world.

15. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

I also own the Merkur 37C slant
    Isn't aggressive for me and shaves better than my Closed Comb DE's
    Of course can not reach my Open Combs but it's nice once in a while to use it just for change.

Rafifafi likes this.
  16. shave/brush

The 37c is a solid bar razor. I do not find it to be aggressive but many people do. Even 'Geofatboy' in his video warns that it is very aggressive. It is very efficient. It can mow down a 4 day old beard with no problem and be very smooth about it. It will shave just as close as any other razor.

Rafifafi likes this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This sort of encapsulates my view on pretty much all of the product threads and reviews we find here.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  18. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Sorry the slant didn't work for you. Thanks for your detailed review.

19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I just finished listening to the latest podcast episode by BrushnSoapnBlade where the host describes his experience with this very same razor which was his first slant.
    He apparently loved it :)

20. shave/brush

I just went to the site you mentioned 'Darkbulb', "BrushnSoapnBlade". He sure did like the Slant 37c. He practically said, why would you use any other razor. He did love it.