My First Completed Handmade

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Joe C, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Joe C

Joe C New Member

My First Completed Handmade Razor

This one is sold pending funds, but it's a (slightly over) 6/8 spike point. Handle is curly pernambuco with a CA finish. Brass wedge and pins. Blade steel is CPM154CM, cryo treated.

Attached Files:

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

WOW - looks GREAT, Joe! :drool

3. Padron

Padron Active Member

Looks Awesome Joe!!, Nice work!!....I want one too, let me know whats available. :D

Thanks,
    Neale

4. Joe C

Joe C New Member

That's actually smallest one I made. The rest are around 7/8 to slightly over 8/8.

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

Perfect, thats my preferred sizes. I have to look at the pictures of the blades you sent me a while ago.

Beautiful razor Joe :D

6. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

WOW!!

Soooo Beatiful!! I WANNA !!

7. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Congratulation, Joe. It’s quite a beauty and I hope it’s only the start of a long story.

8. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Excellent work, Joe. The razor is nicely balanced all the way around. Very pleasing filework, too. You realize that you have just pushed Peter and Gary and challenged them to buy a variable speed grinder, don't you?

You have also reminded me to finish up the razors I have sitting on my workbench. I have been so busy with restorations that I haven't had a chance to do other stuff. Thanks for the nudge...

9. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency Member

That looks amazing Joe. Btw Terry Goodkind fan? I couldn't help but notice that you have the "Wizards first rule" in your sig. I love Goodkind I'm excitedly awaiting his last book in the series.

10. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

W.T.F.

Beautiful razor! I don't own any straights... never even picked one up in my entire life... but this one has got me seriously considering taking my life into my own hands!

What a gorgeous specimen! Great job!!

11. Joe C

Joe C New Member

Absolutely. Thankfully, according to him, while it'll be the last book in that series, it won't be the last featuring those characters. I hate it when an author kills off great characters. I'm prolly gonna be real cheesed at Rowling in a couple months.:rofl

12. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Very nice work Joe!!

Raf

13. bg42

bg42 New Member

Very nice work , I`m suitably impressed, make that very impressed
    What is the wood you used
    Kind regards Peter

(bloody show off)

14. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Very nice indeed, Joe. Makes me want to get one. :D Tax refund has been delayed however. Found out that I can't claim my daughter without her having a Soc. Sec. #.

Love, Terry Goodkind and J.K. Rowling. I'm reading "The Runes of Earth" by Stephen R. Donaldson. I am a huge fan of the "Thomas Covenant Chronicles."

15. xChris

xChris Member

Joe,

Great looking razor! I was blown away by the photo of the filework across the spine, and the scales are great looking too. I am definitely a "big razor" guy too, so 7/8 & 8/8 widths will get my heart racing when you start showing them.

I'd like to hear your thoughts & opinions on the CPM154CM steel that you used. What's the Rc? What's your opinion of it in a razor, and did you find any quirks with it -- any honing difficulty, shave quality versus older production steel & current examples?

I love the friendly competitiveness that Bill mentions in his post. Several of you guys pushing out high-line work like this is a plus for us straight razor fans.

16. Joe C

Joe C New Member

Chris, the hardess is Rc 60-61, which is just about perfect for this steel. It's very tough, even at that hardness. I've used in for my knives for years, and I think it's the best steel in the world. It's a great edge holder, but not too tough to hone. Has a very velvety feel on the hone, similar to some of the Hess razors I've honed. Of course, that's a matter of opinion, and someone else's may differ, but I love the way it works, and being a powder steel, it has amazingly fine grain structure, which means you can put as fine an edge as you could want on it. Can you tell I like it? :D I honed this one up and it shaved superbly, although I think I can get a bit more out of it.

17. xChris

xChris Member

Joe,

Thanks for the info! Being a knife knut, and somewhat steel junkie, I had some clue that this steel would have great potential, but I'm not a hammerer myself (yet).

So, when will these start showing up on the website?

18. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Ya, seriously! :D

19. Joe C

Joe C New Member

Not sure they'll make it that far. Of the 11 blanks I've made, 5 are spoken for, with 2 more possible. That'll leave me with just 4 blanks to choose from right now. Assuming they get 'spoken for', I'll finish them and send them straight to the buyer, bypassing the website. After all, if they're sold, there's no need to advertise them. :D

20. Damon

Damon Member

That razor is the BOMB, AWSOME, and KICK-ASS. Wish I could afford one maybe you would want to trade for one of my custom nickel buckles.