My First Method Shave

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Infotech, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I never thought I'd try method shaving and probably never would have if I didn't make a visit to Enchante for some Musgoe Real shave creme. I was quite surprised when I walked in to the store and was immediately schooled in method shaving and shaving in general. After about 45 minutes I left the store with some paste, cutting balm, aftershave conditioner, some blades and more information than I could read in a week.

Charles Roberts was a pleasure to meet. He didn't try forcing his products on me like most retailers and suprisingly recommended not buying the more advanced produts until I learned the basics. It was probably one of my best experiences in a store.

So for my first method shave i used a sample of Pre De Provence shave soap I have. CR recommended shaving without the brush, which is his words is obsolete so I decided to and suprisingly got a good shave out of it. I also skipped the cold water rinse and used warm water only. The results were pretty good and my face felt excellent afterwards.

I made a second trip to the store and picked up a shave cloth, shave round, and a couple more packs of Feather blades to give the entire* system a shot.

* I know there are many more products but what I have is all that's needed to get started.

2. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Glad it worked for you. Personally, I'm not ready to make any major changes.

3. alaric

alaric New Member

Congrats!

4. djwurm

djwurm New Member

is their an Enchante in Houston? I thought it was in Austin which is the store I have been in.

5. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

So how much did you trip for the musgo real cost you???

Good to hear you had an enjoyable time there, and had a good shave.

keep us updated.

6. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

No, there isn't a store in houston. I'm in Austin on business.

Not much more than I would've spent on the Musgo Real cream and Glycerin lime soap I was going to buy. I spent more on 4 packs of blades than I did on hydrolast products. I got samples of a couple of items and bought a couple of items.

7. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I felt the same way before I visited the store, but I've always looked for ways to improve my shave. How do I know if I've found the ultimate shave if I don't try method shaving? I could be missing out. It's pretty much why I started using a razor, brush and english creams.

8. jls1963

jls1963 New Member

Congrats--welcome aboard! My shave kit consists solely of an HD, shaving round, Derby's, hydrolast paste (#2 pink, but will switch to the #3 red next pot), shave cloth, cutting balm, hydrolast tonic, and hydrolast AS. The whole kit fits in a 6x6" basket. Shaves take about 10 minutes start to finish, and every shave is BBS and irritation-free. Truly.

9. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I am still waiting to see a video of the someone using the "cloth", brush obsolete? Charles seems like a nice guy but his ideas and views seem a bit off sometimes. I have been able to achieve the ultimate shave with a simple badger brush, simple cream, and a good blade. I do commend him on his research and product line though.

10. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I used the shave cloth this morning. Really, it's something you use to build the mix and then put it aside. It really wasn't anything special but did make the mix way better than I could by hand.

11. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

shave cloth or rag as I call it. Same thing as a brush.

12. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

:rolleyes: