My first purchase into what is surely going to be an expensive hobby

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TexasWheels, May 17, 2012.

1. TexasWheels

TexasWheels Member

After years of being upset with bad shaves and costly cartridge replacement I started looking into other ways to shave. This led me to TSD a couple of weeks ago, I lurked and read some here and there, but man there is so much to learn that I really wasn't sure if I was ready to take the plunge or not, that changed today.

I decided to go out with my wife to do some shopping and to eat, on the way back she decided to pull into a little antique mall to look at some furniture (if we could afford it our house would be decorated 60's style, she loves the look from the show Mad Men). I was rolling around when I saw a tall glass case filled with many old razors that I'd read about on here. Since I really still don't have a clue what's what though I was only going to buy something if I felt it was a really good deal (not that I'd know one).

Here are a few of the razors I saw behind the glass (sorry for such bad photo's)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

They even had full display of old blades (again I had no idea what any of them where/are), I would have bought a couple of boxes but they only wanted to sale the full displays.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

So after looking over that area and then around the rest of the store I was about to head out to the car when my wife hollered at me to come check out what she'd found. I'd mentioned that I was thinking of changing the way I shave and she'd walked by when i was looking in the case. She had found her self a nice old comfy rocking chair, but setting on the table beside the chair was a dirty mug (still had soap scum in it) with a brush and two razors sticking out. She asked if that was something I was looking for and of course I answered that I really didn't know. She handed the mug to me so I could have a look. (sorry I didn't think to take any more pictures at this time) The whole thing looked like it had literally just came out of some ones bathroom in the last couple of days. Lots of ugly stuff on them and still scum in the mug and all over the razors and one of them even still had a used blade in it. On the side of the mug it had a sticker that said $10 mug/brush but didn't mention any price for the razors. I decided that if I could get it all for $10 then it would be worth it even if it wasn't razors I'd ever use. So we went to the front desk, put the mug down, the guy picked it looked at the sticker and asked if there was one for the razors also. Told him nope, that they were in the mug with the brush and didn't have anything on them, so he said well it looks like they are just as dirty with the same stuff as the brush and mug so we'll sell it all together, thus I made my first non junk razor purchase.

Thanks to swarden34 he identified them for me over in my intro newb thread as a Slim Adjustable. black Black Handle Super Speed.
    [​IMG]

So now I have to clean them up and figure out what else to use with them (the brush really doesn't look like it's worth restoring).
    [​IMG][​IMG]

However the razors look worth the time, so following swardens advice and some other threads I've found about cleaning these things up I've gotten started and have them soaking atm. Here's a better view of their condition, no so pretty when the camera gets it's eye on em.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So I'm now hoping that I'll get my $10 out of em after adding in a little elbow grease. I'll keep ya updated on how it goes, and now I can't wait for my first shave and to be able to throw that 4 bladed piece of crap in the garbage.

I'm open for any more tips/advice/tricks to get these back into game shape.

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Nickel / Chrome - Scrubbing Bubbles with a toothbrush then hand polish with Flitz metal polish (can be use on plastics and fiberglass along with metal).

macaronus, alpla444 and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

These razors are in what is called "user grade' condition and if mechanically sound..everything works..then this is a pretty decent score for 10 bucks. And as luck..or destiny would have it..both the slim and superspeed are good razors to start on. Once cleaned they should look ok and shave pretty well if as I said the mechanics are all right and guard bars are straight etc. I guess you'll know more after the cleaning. The brushes look like they have nice handles but getting out the old knot could be tricky. Maybe a new boar brush might make a better beginning IMO. All in all you seemed to have done well here. Will be looking forward to the after pics...

macaronus, alpla444 and Conrad1959 like this.
  4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Welcome and have fun. Hang on to the brush, you might have different ideas / opinions about it in a few months.

supe likes this.
  5. supe

supe Active Member

Can't wait to see the "after" pictures. I wouldn't throw that brush away either, might be pretty sweet with a new knot.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I don't see anything but soap scum and rust (from the blades) on the razors. Scrubbing bubbles (in the can) and a toothbrush and they'll clean up really nice. hit them with a 5 minute lysol soak if you're worried the scrubbing bubbles missed any creepy crawlies.

Don't go the boil route with the black handle, it will fade to a bland grey.

Soak the bristles of the brush in borax and water. That will get rid of soap scum. Then repeat the process in white vinegar. That will sanitize it. Saturate it with hair conditioner, leave for thirty min. and rinse it out. Don't soak the handle, it could split.

The mug will clean up with scrubbing bubbles.

macaronus likes this.
  7. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Ditto to what everyone above me said. Nice score! Can't wait to see what they look like when all cleaned up.

8. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

:signs011: Also i forgot to mention in your other thread that after you clean them up soak them overnight in baby oil overnight. I just did that to my TTO's then cleaned them with Scrubbing Bubbles again and now the actions are really smooth.

9. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

Why did I not think of this sooner, 6 razor baby oil bound asap!

burnout961 likes this.
  10. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice score:), $10 bargin, there should some info in the brush forum, regarding reknotting a brush as that one look nice:)

burnout961 likes this.
  11. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

they look like great razors, nothing that a little TLC won't sort out, Nice find!!!

burnout961 likes this.
  12. Mattface

Mattface New Member

Nice score, and as fortune would have it, of all the razors you snapped pictures of in that shop, those are the only two I would have recomended for soeone in your situation. Most of the others use old proprietary blades that you can't get any more, and the Gem Micromatic is a really nice single edge razor, but it's not as beginner friendly as the Gillettes you got. Either one of those for $10 would be a respectable deal. Cleaned up and looking nice in excellent condition the lesser of the two (black handle) would fetch a twenty easy. I don't see any green on them, so chances are the nickel plating is in good shape under all that scum.

In other words you done good. clean em up, give your self a nice smooth shave and kiss your wife to thank her. :)

macaronus and burnout961 like this.
  13. TexasWheels

TexasWheels Member

Glad to hear that most think these are usable razors for a newb, just luck on my part. After posting last night I let them soak for about 30 minutes. I don't have any of the scrubbing bubbles as my wife moved us to all organic everything a few years ago, so I have the equivalent bubbling organic bathroom cleaner, probably not as strong. After letting them both soak I did a once over with the toothbrush and rinsed em off. Was all the time I've had so far as the wife had plans for us yesterday and today. They are cleaning up nicely though after just the small amount of love I gave them. I was able to see that the Adjustable has a K1 code and the Super Speed a N1. The Adjustable works very well, no hitch in either the opening and closing or turning the numbers dial, the Super Speed however takes some effort to open and close. I put some oil where it looked like I should on both ends that I had left over from a old electric razor.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

macaronus likes this.
  14. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Welcome to the slippery slope of the journey, nice haul for $10.00. Hang around here we will enable you.

americanshamrock likes this.
  15. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Congrats. Looks like that slim will make a fine shaver.

16. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Great haul, man! Enjoy!

17. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Those shavers cleaned up nice. That Slim especially. Enjoy!

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice. The Slim looks great!
    I'd try soaking the Black Handle SS a bit longer, then go at it with a toothpick in the grooves.

19. Mattface

Mattface New Member

The slim should shine up real nice with some polish on the doors.

20. AwNix

AwNix Member

Toothbrush + handsoap, Scrubbing Bubbles, 15 minutes - 1 hr. in Barbicide. Clean all the crevices w/ toothpicks or wooden shish kabob skewers. Wet Q-tips are also good for getting into the handle.

Cool razors. Nice finds. Old shaving brushes tend to be junk. Buy a new one and the best quality you can afford. Clean it up after every time you shave and it'll last a long, long time. :)