My first shave using a....shavette...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Darkbulb, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

An excellent write-up and pictures Dark!

If the left hand is giving a bit of trouble, you might give this grip a try:

Shav_hold 15pct.jpg

I found it to give a much more secure feel, and it helped especially on the cheek and chin area.

Rapidray and macaronus like this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Had my second shave with the shavette this morning (and I haven't had time/didn't remember to do some practice shaves sans blade...).

It actually worked pretty well. I got three weepers but all three when I went too fast.
    When I slowed down and took my time it actually went really well.
    Finished one complete WTG pass on the entire face and throat and finished it off with my blacktip razor.

I still can't get a really comfortable/natural grip. Three fingers on the spine is near impossible. I use two and nothing on the tang.
    I know I need to practice that the most.

It is a certain feeling though slicing away with something like that. :)

macaronus likes this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Both of these. Yes.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Ironically, this is the same justification I hear from those who prefer to use a can of foam & cartridge instead of venturing into the whole wet-shaving routine:
    getting a DE razor, plus the blades, plus a brush, plus having to whip up lather each time, plus having to do MORE than one pass...way too much maintenance AND time!
    However, we wet-shavers would argue that a cartridge shave with foam doesn't compare to the quality and feel of a good DE razor shave with a good badger brush and quality soap—and the extra time and maintenance adds up to a daily rewarding routine that exceeds the experience one gets from a cartridge shave..

I could use the same argument regarding the benefits of using a straight razor vs a DE razor. ;)

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Do not confuse and muddle the argument by using facts and logic! :eatdrink013:

6. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Doh! Hung by my own petard!

macaronus likes this.
  7. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

I would use the **** out of a straight but i just can't afford the hardware right now...but one day [​IMG]

8. rp_63

rp_63 Active Member

I like the wood scales. Do they seem to be varnished/sealed from moisture well? I like the fact it uses regular DE blades. I'd practice a few times without a blade, and use it to help with learning to use both hands. I am VERY left handed, i only hold a razor with the left, I'd cut myself up pretty bad if i tried using the right hand.

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The scales may have a poly coating, which may make them semi-impermeable to water, but not completely waterproof. For $15, I don't expect this to be a big concern unless one leaves the razor soaking in a bowl of water for an extended period.
    I am also an extreme lefty—using my LH for 98.1% of all fine movements that require dexterity as I am fairly incompetent with my right hand doing most things.
    I have, however, learned to use both hands when straight razor shaving—left for left side of face; right for right side. I find the angles easier to achieve in this 2-handed method and now can confidently use either hand wielding a blade. Just takes some practice.

10. Naftas

Naftas New Member

I absolutely agree about not using real straights. This SR maintenance needs kill the rest of the ritual. That's why I became a shavette enthusiast and they are more hygienic than real straight. No honing, stropping, oiling, cleaning. Just load and go. If you didn't know, both CJB and Sam Seong can be rescaled to become folding because they have a hole just in the right place, which can't be seen through silicone sleeve. Sam Seong is even better because the sleeve is easily removed while on CJB this is one time cause you need to cut it. But I would recommend Sam Seong for a few reasons I'll write in particular posts. If you don't have time or nerves to make scales you can order Sanguine R5 Wood one and use its scales. They fit perfectly and look great after soaking for 24 hrs in linen oil.

11. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

Sanguine is a terrible name for any device featuring a blade. Just saying. It can mean both optimistic and bloody.