My First shave with a Slim at #9

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by preidy, Jan 5, 2016.

1. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I first started using my Slim at #5 but have been working my way up the scale. Since I've mastered (I no longer bleed) the R41 I thought I'd try my Slim at #9 today - Super Iridium. What a great close 3 + pass (my normal) shave. As good as the 41 but a bit smoother. I love the 41 and the aggressive blade feeling I get but I'm pleasantly surprised how much less aggressive the Slim felt. From now on my Slim will be locked on #9.

2. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I too use a slim on 9 and it's by far (to me at least) the best shave setting. A marvelous representation of vintage adjustable. Even tho I don't use mine too often I can't think of not owning one. I'm glad 9 works for u as well!

AGHisBBS, twhite and Primotenore like this.
  3. Jay S

Jay S Active Member

I've been using my Slim for a couple of months now and only using a DE since June. I started on 3 and I'm currently using a 6 with multiple blades as I'm still working through my samples and haven't found THE blade for me. So far...AstraSP, Feather, GSB, and a few others I can't remember right now. Today I tried a Wilkinson Sword for the first time after about 6 days of not shaving...another wonderful shave with the Slim at 6 and THE FAT on my face!

I'm still enjoying the ride...

Jay

AGHisBBS likes this.
  4. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I love my Slim! Like @Skinny Rogers I don't use it all the time, but I find it to be a highly valued member of my collection. I usually shave with it on 4 for my cheeks and then shift to 9 for my throat.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have tried 9, but I have settled on 6. :)

AGHisBBS likes this.
  6. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

How many and what passes are you doing when shaving @#9 ?. I can do slim #9 WTG but find anything at the level leaves me with burn and redness on my neck.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I agree! (not that I have used the R41 yet, but the Slim @9 is my standard setting. I started low as well and dialled up every new shave until I was @9. Great little shaver, that!

I'm lucky that I can use it ATG as well. But I have to remember to use the lightest touch. I try to imagine to just scrape off the lather in stead of shaving the stubble. Of course, when removing the lather the stubble is mowed away as well, but it is the imagination which does the trick. Works for me to get to a lighter touch!

Red Rider and AGHisBBS like this.