My Gillette Super Speed Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LOOT, Sep 24, 2015.

1. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

First post. Glad to be here.

I got into Safety Razors early this year. I saw the Micro Touch commercial and commented to my wife that I wanted to try one out. She bought me the Micro Touch as a gift. I hacked myself up for several weeks until I got the hang of it. But, I was hooked. I felt comfortable dropping some $$$ on a quality rig.

So, I mentioned them to my mom. She said, "I have my dad's razors." A couple weeks later she brought me the 4 in the picture. I had been wanting a long handled razor because my arms/shoulders get too tight after working out to reach my neck comfortably.

In May I send my long handled Black Beauty (V3 date code, 1975 model) to Razor Emporium for a $75 rehab. In early July it came back. It is really beautiful. I've read some bad reviews here of RE, but I think they did an amazing job. The other 3 will be sent out very soon for the same treatment.

From top to bottom in the photo (apologies for the poor photo). I based my analysis on this post (I could be terribly wrong): http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/asylumguidos-guide-to-super-speed-identification.8461/
    - 70s style Super Speed (I see no date code but the 70s was the only one with a black handle?)
    - 40s style Super Speed? (I see no date code here either. It's not a Flare Tip for sure. It's all silver handled. I really don't know much about it)
    - 1971 (R4 code) Super Speed 109
    - 1975 (V3 code) Super Speed 109 (This is the one I use solely and I love it!)

I have a very dear friend on this forum (he is the reason I'm here, we share a new addiction). I know him from another forum. Although I've never met the man, I owe him a debt I can never repay. To try and make a start in the right direction, I am gifting him the revamped 1971 black beauty! He seems a little excited :)

That's my story. I'll follow this up when I get them all back and maybe I'll see a code on the two I'm not real sure about.

LOOT

20150924_163643-1.jpg

Spud, preidy, Morman Bridge and 5 others like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi!
    And way cool to have family heirlooms!

3. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Hey Loot, :signs046:

Glad you joined us. You really should go to the Newbie section and sign up for the newbie give away.
    You didn't tell me you had a group of heirloom Super Speeds.:happy036: Those look like they should clean up really nice. 2 Black Beauty's. I would say you have a great start. SS are some nice shavers.
    Welcome aboard.

Don

4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I've used Razor Emporium several times and have never been disappointed. I think they had a few hiccups when first starting out, but successfully addressed them and have become a first rate customer service company. It's great to have heirloom razors. Nice collection.

Dzia Dzia and Omaney like this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Welcome to the shave den and that's a nice collection of razors.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Welcome

I too am new to the forum. I have my dads razors. 1 tech ball and the other is a a black beauty. I have only 2 shaves on the BB but I really like the shave I get.
    People here have been VERY friendly and helpful.

Enjoy the journey.

Tom

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD and congrats on such a nice family collection.

Jayaruh likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    In this industry, it's hard to shake a bad reputation. I asked Matt about that when I visited RE, and he explained that when he and his business partner started RE, his partner made some poor decisions regarding quality control.

Matt bought out his partner's share of the company, found a different plater, and enforced stringent QC. Now that they do all the plating in house, I can reveal that the plater that they used for the last couple of years is the same one that handles all of Zippo's plating requirements. They haven't sent out a badly plated razor in years.

NapalmCola, Jim99, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  10. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Nice collection and a great way to get started with DE shaving. Glad the tune up from RE went well. I will be sending some razors that way before long myself.

11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The short handled Super Adjustable is an 84, not a 109.

84 and 109 refer to the length of the razor in millimeters. Neither are Super Speeds.

12. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Thanks for the welcome all, and the info PoM. I'm still learning.

PLANofMAN and Dzia Dzia like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I've been wet shaving for years, and been on these forums for years. I still learn new things all the time.

You're not alone in that. :D

14. Sir.$-Mad

Sir.$-Mad Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den! Nice razors! :)

15. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

It's been almost a year since I visited. Too much work, too little time. So, a little collection update...As I mentioned before, I had the (2) BB's replated by Chad at Razor Emporium. I kept the long handle and gifted the short to another member here. My long handle in Rhodium is splendid. I've seen pictures of the short handle. It looks great even tho I made a booboo. I wanted it Rose and Rhodium. When I saw the black handle in a photo, I was a little disappointed. I called Chad an he politely explained that the handle can't be plated. I told him had I known, I'd have picked a solid finish instead of having 3 colors. He offered to take it back, strip and replate the necessary parts to make me happy. This was totally my fault and Chad offered to make it right. I read bad reviews about RE in the past...but I can't say enough good about them. Class outfit for sure.

I've since added (2) Fat Boys and (2) Slims to my collection. I just bought a Fat Boy today and it's en route! I'm gonna have Delta Echo rework the one I use now. Very soon. The new (to me) FB can sit on a shelf. I love my FB...man does it shave great. I'll keep the best one in original condition and plate the other.

I picked up the Slims as a set 3/4 months ago and have yet to use one. I can't put the FB down long enough! I finally sanitized one to try. They are in remarkable condition. I overpaid, I'm sure.

Now...I'm the hunt for a Toggle.

Slow Joe, jimjo1031, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  16. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Enjoy your journey sir!

17. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I got the Fatboy yesterday and bought a Toggle too! I can't wait to get it. Hopefully it's in pretty good shape. It will definitely need refinishing before use. I'm not a fan of gold. Decisions...decisions.

Jim99 likes this.
  18. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Good luck in you search for a Toggle.

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk

19. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice razors, I use straights most of the time but when I do use a DE its 95% of the time a superspeed great razor