My journey away from pre-shave

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by VedderLG, Aug 16, 2014.

1. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

When I first started DE shaving, I found the process quite irritating. My face would burn for hours. This was definitely due to beginner's technique and perhaps the blades I started with (Merkur - ouch! and Derby - didn't cut). I then decided to use proraso white pre shave cream paired with Wilkinson blades and then Astra SP blades. Finally, I was on my way to irritation free shaves. I convinced myself that I required pre shave to be irritation free. Despite being 35, I still struggle with acne. I now partially attribute som of this to tuggy and irritating cart shaves. DE shaving reduced it by 80%, but did not get rid of it.

Recently, I was traveling and decided to leave my pre-shave behind. I used proraso green cream, which IMHO is very lubricating. To my surprise, I had irritation free and comfortable shaves. Also, my acne was about 95% gone! Wondering if the pre-shave cream was contributing to my residual acne, I decided to abandon it. I shaved with the RR The Freedberg. With the soap, I had some neck irritation (which I had not had in months with the pre-shave). I focused hard on technique - by just trying to wipe the lather off (as someone in this group put so eloquently) and using alum for feedback. I am now able to get multiple irritation free shaves from multiple different soaps, blades and razors. I really believe that dropping pre-shave has allowed me to correct some flaws that were hiding in my technique. By no means do I mean to suggest that those who use pre-shave have poor technique. This was just my experience.

I am curious to know the opinion our members. Do you think:
    A) Pre-shave is necessary for you in order to get a comfortable shave
    B) Pre-shave is a tool for newbs to be able to compensate while developing technique
    C) Pre-shave is not useful/has minimal impact
    D) Pre-shave oil/cream, while not necessary, may help you get an irritation free shave

I am not a head shaver and don't pretend to know anything about that. I know many answers will be: YMMV, but am still interested given the above experience.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    ObiDon likes this.
  2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

If I had to chose between the options I would chose B. It's true but I think if I can add some extra protection I will. Fortunately I don't get acne anymore so I don't have that problem

VedderLG likes this.
  3. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I have been asking the same question recently, but I'm in the middle of trying out some new razors so I don't want to eliminate it yet.

VedderLG likes this.
  4. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

D) Pre-shave oil, while not necessary, may help you get an irritation free shave.

Technium and VedderLG like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I would have to say,"A"—pre shave (cream, lotion or oil) is NOT necessary to get a comfortable shave. I've had plenty of quality shaving experiences without the use of a pre shave product.
    That said, I tend to use one practically every time I shave. I consider the use of a pre-shave product as an 'extra' insurance policy for my sensitive skin. Not essential, but I do appreciate the extra level of softening/lubrication/protection a certain PS product can provide. The cost of entry is low—particularly if you make them at home—and they do no harm. They are also highly recommended for 'newbs' to wet shaving—a group of whom I don't necessarily consider myself part. ;)

178-bplatoon and VedderLG like this.
  6. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Good point. Will edit and add to my post.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I agree with HolyRollah, I feel for most/many people preshave lotion etc. is actually unnecessary, but is a nice "extra". That said I use Corn Huskers Lotion with every shave as my preshave of choice. It's inexpensive, not oily and I feel it gives my first pass(when whiskers are at their worst) some advantage comfort wise. :) I also do a "kyle" prep to help soften my beard..

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    VedderLG likes this.
  8. Technium

Technium Active Member

My AOS sandalwood pre shave oil is quite thick. When I apply lather just over the top of that it doesn't help and sometimes interferes with a good shave. I discovered if I splash a bit of water on it (counterintuitively) it seems to increase the glide. I'd like to find a reasonably priced pre shave oil that is much less viscous. Haven't been able to decide on one.

Omelmad likes this.
  9. Omelmad

You can make your own, look in the tutorial thread =)

HolyRollah and Technium like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011: See Here

Technium likes this.
  11. Technium

Technium Active Member

I'm checking out ingredients on Amazon right now. Wish I had someone in Portland to split some of this with. I don't need 16 ounces of sweet almont oil. :)

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Go cheap first. Olive oil and castor oil both work ideal together. ANY olive oil…doesent need to be primo $tuff. That way you can see how the proportions of each change the efficacy.

13. Technium

Technium Active Member

Good tip. The sweet almond oil seemed like it would have a fragrance I liked a bit better. I cook with more olive oil than any country on the Mediterranean, but the scent just doesn't sound great for shaving (for me).

14. Technium

Technium Active Member

By the time I add the Sandalwood oil, it will be cheaper at AOS. Too bad that stuff is so expensive. I love that scent.

15. Omelmad

You should be able to find sweet almond oil at the grocery store

Technium likes this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Have you ever considered giving "Corn Huskers Lotion" a try as a preshave lotion? Little smell, it's not oily, VERY inexpensive and easily found locally at least here in southern Louisiana.

Technium likes this.
  18. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I don't believe that the almond oil has much of a scent at all.

Technium likes this.
  19. Technium

Technium Active Member

Good to know. Thanks.

Troy M likes this.
  20. Technium

Technium Active Member

No I haven't. I might check that out. I'm considering going almond oil and castor oil first.