My journey away from pre-shave

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by VedderLG, Aug 16, 2014.

1. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I am curious to know the opinion our members. Do you think:
    A) Pre-shave is necessary for you in order to get a comfortable shave---Nope
    B) Pre-shave is a tool for newbs to be able to compensate while developing technique---Nope
    C) Pre-shave is not useful/has minimal impact---Yep
    D) Pre-shave oil/cream, while not necessary, may help you get an irritation free shave---Nope

A couple splashes of cold water is all the "pre-shave" I need. It's much more important to make a high quality lather and let it set on the beard for a couple minutes before shaving. In my not so humble opinion of course!

2. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

I wanted to follow up, because I may have left the impression that proraso white pre was causing me to have acne. It wasn't. It was shaving ATG that was resulting in small white heads. I stopped my ATG pass and it is gone. At this point pre-shave doesn't really improve my shave, but I will still use it once in a while. My prep is primarily cold water.

Tdmsu likes this.
  3. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

The master has spoken. :smiley respect:

And I agree completely. :)

It's a "C" for me Vedder!

4. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I found that with the the drier weather setting in Shea butter works to keep my face slicker. I don't use it in the summer.

5. Technium

Technium Active Member

They had it at Rite Aid. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for the idea.

Bristle Me likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It's always beddah with da buddah! :happy088:
    [​IMG]

Omelmad and ObiDon like this.
  7. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I seem to find that if I use a good Pre-Shave Oil I get a good shave. If I shave while I am still in the shower I don't seem to need the pre-shave oil.
    I like the Pacific Shaving Co. All Natural Shaving Oil , it does well. I prefer the Stirling Pre-Shave oil.

VedderLG likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Why the preference, Patrick? Scent? slickness? combination of factors? Just curious to hear what folks look for in certain products.

9. PatrickA51

I really can say the cost.
    For Pacific Shaving Oil a 1/2oz. Bottle is $6.99. For Stirling Coniferous Pre-Shave Oil 8.45350 fl.oz/250ml bottle $8.50.

I prefer the Stirling because of the price but also I seem to get a better shave using the Stirling Oil than I do the Pacific Oil.

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I think choice D best describes me. I can shave without a PSO, but can't imagine why I would want to. It feels better, plus I can add such nice scents. BTW, if you are making your own oils, ordering essential oils in larger quantities is the way to keep the cost of scents down.

Technium and VedderLG like this.
  11. Technium

Technium Active Member

Ah. That's the trick. Makes sense now that you say it. I was getting together ingredients yesterday and stopped when I hit the sandalwood essential oil. Very spendy for the small quantity I wanted it in.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Sara, your suggestion makes complete sense if one wishes to save a few cents on scents. :D:happy088:

Sara-s likes this.
  13. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I would go with B and D. I think it can be helpful for a newb who hasn't worked out lathering techniques. I think it also allows me to cheat a little with going back over unlathered surfaces a few times. I also think that there are some beard / skin combos out there where people will never get as comfortable a shave without the oil, no matter how good the lather. My personal opinion, is that this has more to do with the skin moisturizing effect than it does with providing any additional glide. You might be able to get the same effect by rubbing some on a few times throughout the day, as opposed to just while you shave.

VedderLG likes this.
  14. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

There is definitely something to be said for a simple approach...

15. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

I would have to say D) Pre-shave oil/cream, while not necessary, may help you get an irritation free shave. I have never used a preshave oil in DE shaving in over a year and get irritation free shaves. That being said I do plan to make some preshave oil in the future just to give it a try. I love trying new things when possible. I also take delight that it is something I can do fairly cheap.

VedderLG and Sara-s like this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It's also easy & fun.

17. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

D. I use Proraso Preshave Cream. I reapply it before my third pass (ATG) and it seems to help reduce irritation.

VedderLG likes this.
  18. PatrickA51

I have to agree with your statement.
    One reason I like the Stirling is the cost, but also the slickness of it. I feel I get a better shave.

19. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

(edit mine)

It almost got by me.
    I had to go back a read that a couple of times....... :happy097: :happy102: :happy097:

PatrickA51 likes this.
  20. PatrickA51

And I thought I had missed that LOL :happy097::happy102::happy108::happy068::eek::happy096: