My new EJ DE89L

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sodapopjones, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

First off the razor is nearly flawless 99% perfect (Nothing is perfect), the finish puts every other razor I own to shame, including vintage Gillette's...

The balance is by far the best of anything I have held, and honestly the lined and not knurled handle has plenty of grip.

Loaded it up with a Red Pack Personna because I test new razors with those blades and its almost impossible to hack your face off with them :D

Must say, it was a damn fine shaver she glided over my face like nothing, I can only imagine how its going to be when I use a sharper blade :eek:

Got a DFS out of a 3 pass shave, it was also my first time using the EJ soap.

I think I sorted the bugs out of both (Seated the soap with VDH), so even with a sub-par sharp blade and a new soap I never used, I got an excellent shave today!

[​IMG]

2. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I own the EJ DE87 and I agree completely. The only other razor I occasionally use is my '48ish SS and only because it was made the year I was born.

I've used more than a few DE razors over the years and the Muhle head razors are my favorite.

Glad you're enjoying yours.

3. Sodapopjones

Most definitely ;)

I might be doing a razor sell-off soon :happy102

4. a-cut-above

a-cut-above Member

Anyone with serious RAD who has both the Muhle R89 and the EJ DE89L that can post a comparison?

Dave

5. noxlord

noxlord New Member

According to a thread on B&B, those two companies are owned by the same people and they offer the same products, with minor differences. The razors heads are the same too, they just offer different handles.

6. Sodapopjones

That is correct, the EJ handle is half an oz heavier than the Muhle...

Heres my posting on ShaveMyFace

7. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

THAT is a beauty!

8. noxlord

noxlord New Member

This is definitely my next razor. I was looking a the Merkur 34, but now, the EJ89L is at the top of the list.

9. Sodapopjones

You can't go wrong with the EJ89L, looks good, has a really good gripping surface even though its not "Knurled" and it shaves awesome.

10. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

How does the EJ89L shave compared to the Merkur 34C? That 89L is a nice looking razor for sure.

11. Sodapopjones

I haven't personally used the 34C, others have said the EJ89L is less aggressive, take it for what you will.

12. scott69

scott69 New Member

I have the DE-87, fell for the ivory handle. With Personna Reds it can't be beat. Absolutely my favorite razor. Good luck with your 89L!

13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I am taking that as a good thing. I have read many kudos given to the Merkur 34, but also a lot of comments that it is aggressive. From what I have read in this thread, it is apparent that the Edwin Jagger 89L is high quality razor that gives great shaves. Being similar to the Merkur only a little less aggressive, it might be a good first razor for those new to DE shaving.

BTW, thanks especially for the photo and info in the original post.

14. Sodapopjones

NP, paired with a Kai and some Mama Bear's soap, you should be able to get an effortless BBS like I did today :D

15. memoryleak

memoryleak Active Member

The EJ DE89L is a very forgiving razor. I've made more than one "klutz" move and expected at the very least to get a bad weeper but didn't happem. It will be the beauty of your razor display BTW. I have a wrap of waterproof bandage tape at the base of the handle for grip only because of intermittent numbness in my phalanges (I watch too many back episodes of "Bones").:D

16. drw6895

drw6895 New Member

Is this the $115 EJ DE razor on the English Shaving Company website?

17. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

It would be the same head, but different handle, the one talked about here is $33.00 on that site.

The $115.00 is a Chatsworth model and the handle would weigh considerably more.

18. Stone

Stone New Member

I have the de87. I just converted from cartridge razors about 5 days ago, and I love the razor, but I'm not really getting a closer shave. I'm not sure if i need more practice or different equipment. What should I experiment with first? I was going to try different blades since they're cheap.

19. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

it is nice...

I can honestly say it is a nice razor. from what I read its the same head as the Muhle. the only diff is that edwin jagger has a heavier handle. I like the extra weight. this thing is solid easy to change blades. and the finish is almost flawless. I have the line version.

20. mantic

mantic U TOOB

I have the EJ 87, which is just an '89 with a different handle:
    [​IMG]

IMO this razor is *more* aggressive than an HD (though not by much). It's well-built, a pleasant suprise from most of the other brands of new razors out today....