My New Handcrafted Shaving Stand

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by BYUTexan, May 23, 2010.

1. BYUTexan

BYUTexan New Member

Wanting to make a customized stand to hold my two brushes and two razors I thought I would get creative and see what I could put together. I decided on wood for a classic look rather than metal and acrylic.

So I went to Home Depot, bought two pieces of poplar planks. One thicker than the other. I then took a pencil and drew out the design after making the measurements using my razors and brushes. I then took a skill/desk saw and made the major cuts and used a coping saw to cut out the brush and razor slots. I then took sanding paper (various grits) and created the angled edges and smoothed it out to prepare it for staining. Following that I applied a water based pre wood stain conditioner. Then I applied a water based rose wood stain (3 coats). I then applied 3 coats of polyurethane semi gloss to protect against the moisture of the bathroom and stuck on rubber bumpers on the bottom so that it won't sit in the water around the sink.

I also want to gauge interest from B&B members. I am considering making more and selling them. If interested let me know and we can work out a design and price.

Attached Files:

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Looks nice dude. Depending on the space available, you could put a few more slots on the backside to hang another razor or three. The one I made is much more rudimentary than yours but I wish I would have made a few more slots.

Nice job.:happy096

3. Kriptinox

Kriptinox New Member

Nice! I think I might try to make my own variation.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Ya know, sometimes I wished I'd been born crafty 'stead of so good lookin'!

Just kidding. I'm neither :D

That's some great work, BYUTexan!

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yeah Steve, but you got such a sweet 'stache, who cares? :happy102

6. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

Oh geez... this sounds EXACTLY like something my Dad would say!!!

7. El Judio Afeitado

El Judio Afeitado New Member

Well done, man! :signs021

8. BYUTexan

BYUTexan New Member

I have begun working on another one, this one will be built to accomodate 10 razors and 2 brushes. Will post in the next couple of days.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:think002 hmmm... are you that young or am I that old? :sick022

10. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

No, just looney!

11. BYUTexan

BYUTexan New Member

I only wanted 2 razors so I made slots just for 2. But What I would like to do is make custom stands for those who want X slots Razors and X slots for Brushes.

12. mike72

mike72 Member

Nice job

13. Sir Swine

Sir Swine Member

I wish there were more brush stands that held 2 or more brushes

14. RandDT

RandDT New Member

Have you ever considered using a pipe holder? I got a wooden one that holds two pipes and it works great. I opened up one of the holes by cutting the front part out. That allows the brush handle to slide in. I left the other hole as it was and use it to hold my razor. I've seen stands that hold multiple pipes, so you could go crazy with this and put your whole collection on your counter. Some pipe stand are designed to hang on the wall, so you coulr really display them!