My New Year's Resolution

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Carson West, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

I've been wet-shaving for a couple years now. I've enjoyed using a different razor, different soap, brush, etc. with every shave up 'till now. But now it's time to take this hobby to the next level. I'm starting an experiment.

First I'll find out which blade pairs best with each of my 20 razors (I have enough razors just now, thank you). I'll use each blade in each razor twice, use the same kind of soap both times, and record the results in a notebook. And I'll try about eight or nine different blades in each razor, at least early in the experiment. That's 16 or 18 shaves times 20. I shave every 36 hours, so that experiment alone should take over a year and a lot of patience. I figure this routine will also enable me to work out the perfect technique for each razor.

Then I want to focus on soaps and creams, to find which ones work best and why, and write all that down.

And no I won't report my results here, as they'll apply just to my personal mileage.

I consider "Christmas" to begin on Thanksgiving day and to end on Christmas day. So I hope all you guys have had a wonderful "Christmas," filled with lots of presents and lots of love.

CW

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  2. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

I'm doing something similar, but it won't take nearly as much time.

I don't want more than a couple razors, and since I have two SE's that I use almost exclusively, it was time to get rid of my EJ de89, RR German slant 37, and the Parker Variant. All great razors, but I've moved on--so I thought.

I'm having trouble letting go of the Variant. It's a beautiful razor and was a gift from my mom. The biggest problem was, in the back of my mind, I knew I haven't given it a fair shake; I've only used Personna's in it. The resolution is to finish my SE blades exploration for the MMOC, then run various blades through the variant before deciding whether or not to get rid of it.

Astra SP, Voskhod, GSB, Feather, and Polsilver. If none of these can hack down the hair on my chin and upper lip any easier/more comfortably than my gems, then the variant goes.

Gonna keep things simple: two razors, three soaps, three AS, a brush, balm, and bowl. Next stop: clean out the garage :scared007:

Carson West likes this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

This years resolution.

Sorta like last years, new years resolution.

Make it to January 1, 2021.
    Then go from there.
    ;)

Well.....

tp

LaneP, Carson West and timabababaluka like this.