My Next Brush (Part 2) -->

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by TraderJoe, Apr 27, 2007.

1. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I like a soft luxurious brush somedays (SR 3xxx), a bit firmer other days (BK4), and finally I also enjoy a downright scrubby brush. I am looking for a new brush in this "scrubby" category.

Couple parameters:

1) Simpson's Chubby1 Super was too scrubby/stiff :confused:

2) SR 104 was nice

3) C&E Best I enjoy

What would you suggest? I guess what I'm looking for is something similar to the C&E Best, but denser, and with a nicer handle (an "upgrade" if you will).

With all this talk about ROONEY, I have my eye on the Style 3, Size 1, in "Pure" grade:

[​IMG]

Overall brush height: 105mm
    Handle height: 50mm
    Brush Loft: 55mm
    Knot diameter: 22mm

Seems to be what I'm looking for, and I shot Jim at VintageBlades an email to see about comparison to C&E Best, but he's never used one.

Ideas? :cool: What about Shavemac best? Shavemac finest? Both? :D

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Lock, Load, Pull Trigger!

You know you are going to get it anyway.:rofl

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

You're probably right, but......I was trying to be more scientific about this one....rather than just buying everything in sight :happy001

4. Will

Will Nevermind

Well you know if you don't like it someone will take it of your hands.:rolleyes:

5. Will

Will Nevermind

Seriously though, is it really a good idea to put a huge price tag on another Crabtree and Evelyn brush? Sure lux is a factor and all but other than that wont it still be the same brush in a way?

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Good point, it was considered....but really I want something that is "above" the quality of C&E best. On a scale of 1-10 on quality I would give the C&E Best an 8 at the most. I'm looking for a 10+ :D

Lux factor aside, I also don't care for the handle on the C&E Best....its not the most functional handle I've used

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

JOE:
    I already did the homework for ya Buddy ! ;)
    Since I've only had 1 shave with the Rooney its hard to give a complete review but...
    early reports are very positive.

8. Will

Will Nevermind

One shave ok.....but how did the 10 times you lathered with it go?:D

9. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

:D I was thinking the same thing. Heck, I'd go make some lather just for the fun of it.

10. xChris

xChris Member

I don't think Shavemac's Finest would be scrubby enough. Shavemac Pure is mentioned for being a good match without the harsh scratch (like found in some black pure knots), but I don't have first-hand experience.

That Rooney is a lovely looking brush, though. It certainly looks like it meets your criteria. I like the striping in their "ivory" handles too.

11. rick

12. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Thanks gentlemen :happy088

At this point I have it narrowed down to:

1) Shavemac Pure
    2) Rooney Pure (style 1 or 3)
    3) SR 108 (last resort, however)

Still open to suggestions.....

13. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

Duke 2 Best Badger.

St. Croix

14. rick

Joe:

of the 3 you've listed,
    do you have 1 or more of them already ?
    I'm pretty sure you have a SR.....prolly a Shavemac as well.
    Try something different, laddie.
    Go Rooney or look into the Shavemaster (both "fans").
    I can send you a cuppa emails from CAR if you'd like...lotsa info in there. :D

15. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Don't have 1 or 2 in Pure, but have tried 3 in pure (just different model) - but I hear you, I'm a big believer in VARIETY :D

hook me up the "cuppa" emails from CAR (email is in my profile ;))

16. rick

on da way... :D

17. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Id say - Go for a Muehle.. Great brushes.. Great Quality and Service.. Good prices too..

www.muehle-pinsel.de

18. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    If you need someone to take your C&E BBB off your hands, I can help you there, Joe. :D

19. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

You sure you wouldn't rather have something like this:

[​IMG]

Pure Badger Shaving Brush
    [FONT=univers,arial,sans-serif] The Art of Shaving Shaving Brush generates a rich, warm, protective lather as it lifts and softens hairs, opens pores and gently exfoliates for a smoother, more luxurious shaving experience. Our Badger Shaving Brush is custom-contoured to fit a woman's shaving needs, and handcrafted for comfort, elegance and durability. [/FONT]

LINK

No really, I can see why you like the C&E best so much, its a really great, and very functional brush :happy088

20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :eek: Uhhh....no thanks.