My Next Brush (Part 2) -->

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by TraderJoe, Apr 27, 2007.

1. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

DeLong?

Has Anybody used the DeLong Brushes? (sold at CottonBlossom aka Feather Distributor)........

They also have a pure badger:

[​IMG]
    Price: 18.50 USD

LINK

The reason I ask, is that I'm curious as to the quality of these DeLong brushes

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Hmmmm...that's looks decent. :D

3. moses

moses New Member

Thoughts.

Shavemac Pure - I'm itching like anything to get one of these. My theory is that it will be firmer than a C&E (because denser), but less scratchy, because it is hand made, and therefore lacking the prickly ends of a machine cut brush. Don't know about you, but I was thinking custom order one a little bigger than the 23mm all his standard Pures are.

Rooney - Interesting. Hmm... Never thought about that. Like the Shavemac, I'd imagine it would lack the prickle factor.

Simpsons - Understood on the Chubby. But that is the scrubbiest of all Simpsons. I personally LOVE my PJ3 Super. Just the right amount of scrubby, but not too much. Nice and firm. Or, if you like a little less scrub, what about a Simpsons Best. Supposed to be a little softer than the Super, and cheaper to boot. I think what you really want is a PJ 2 or 3 Super, or a Duke 3 Best.

AOS above - Um Yeah. I examined this thing in the AOS store. Handle aside, the knot is probably exactly what a lot of people would like. quite firm, but super soft. Only problem is, that comes from a crazy short loft. I don't think it would lather worth a darn.

-Mo

4. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Looks like my shoe shine brush.

Attached Files:

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Maybe I can use it to clean between my toes. :rofl:signs113

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Yeah, I'm in touch with Bernd on a custom.....I am asking him to do a Pure in the handle that the 22579 comes with (23mm).

[​IMG]

What did you have in mind?

Are you going to get "extra" hairs packed in?

---> And I think you are spot on about the firm, but not scratchy....as he doesn't trim the tips :happy088

Thanks for your help :D

7. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Well....I have this one......and it is absolutely my favourite for soaps. It beats my Rooney, Simpson, and Vulfix. Has softened a little with use....but it remains firm and of course it is very dense. Personally I would go for the Shavemac. You would not be disappointed!

Attached Files:

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

nice, nice brush, Brian--Use it well!

9. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I do......frequently;)

10. Smedley

Smedley New Member

All these @#&*@*&! brush threads!

Not helping my resolve not to buy a Shavemac whatever!!

:mad: :mad:

:mad:

:mad:

Thanks!

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

You're quite welcome! So, far I have been holding off buying something more upscale. I'm weakening though. These brush threads are making me itch. :D

12. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Big lather power, small package. This brush rocks :happy088

I'd recommend the D3 for a step up in size, but I haven't personally used that brush... yet.

[​IMG]

13. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

So, of all the brushes that have been batted about in this thread, which ones would be considered "fan" brushes?

14. moses

moses New Member

Simpsons and Rooney. Vulfix also, but not sure if they came up. Savile Row 200 series. As opposed to Shavemac, Savile Row Silvertip, that Delonghi or whatever it was thing. Also Plisson. although I'm not sure it came up either.

Look at the pictures, and compare the profile of the shavemac head with that of the Simpson or Rooney.

-Mo

15. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

30+ days late to the party - but I had the DeLong silvertip in the faux ivory.
    It was my only brush for over a year. Soft brush with very, very little shedding. It held up well but I decided it was a little too soft when I went to soaps almost all the time. Someone mentioned Rooney and I was off to the races. I am happy with my Rooney small super style 3.

16. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Thanks - I knew someone out there had tried the DeLong. I appreciate your comments, and while I won't be getting the SilverTip, I will consider their Pure...given their confirmed decent quality.

17. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Joe,

I've been told that Delong makes brushes for Edwin Jagger even though EJ claims they are made in the UK. Delong is based out of China and we know that a lot of the knots come from there for many brushes. Mine was fine.

It should work out for you.

Best,

18. jramire2

jramire2 Member

I have the rooney style 3 size 1 in super and it's a great brush for soaps, just ok for creams. The density and stiffness really make it better for soaps than creams.

I've heard that the rooney style 2, while having an extra 5mm loft, is actually stiffer than the shorter style 3. And I've heard the style 1 is softer yet.

The style 1's on my list b/c I'm looking for a brush that's good with soaps AND creams.

The quality is there though. I got mine used so I can't say if the prior owner had any problems. But I've had mine for over 3 months now and it has yet to shed a single hair. Can't say the same for my Simpson Major.

~Joshua