My Old Scuttle and New Scuttle

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by sas71, Dec 30, 2010.

1. sas71

sas71 Member

clearly the new one wins hands down lol

i used to float the bowl in the sink but it got lather residue on it and if i wasnt careful when i sat it down after a pass id flood it with water. i then moved to the big tupperware container and like the sink, it just kept the later at the bottom warm.

[​IMG]

so i decided to get myself a nice scuttle for xmas. i went with a Robert Becker meduim. Since i had $50 to spend and wanted some soap to. Outside bowl is 5 1/2" diameter by 3" deep. The top bowl 4 1/2" diameter by 2" deep , which is nice since my little rice bowl was only 4 3/8" x 2". i dont have to get used to the lather bowl being larger or smaller.

i whipped up some KMF real quick for the photos using hot tap water. after a few mins the lather started to degrade so id say the Becker will hold in heat nicely. i should have waited til after i shaved but you know how it goes when you get a new toy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I can't see the photos because the image tags are blocked at work, however, I also have the RAB medium scuttle and use it every day. Robert did one for me in purple and if anything happened to it, I would certainly replace it. The RAB scuttle is probably the most important addition I made to my shave gear.

3. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new Robt. Becker Scuttle! I saw that scuttle you have on the RAB site and it looks like a very nice one! I also have a Robt. Becker Scuttle and I use it every day. It is a "must have" as far as my shaving regimen is concerned. The RAB scuttles retain their heat for a very long time. I fill mine with water and microwave it for 3 minutes (your time my very so be careful) and checked the water temp at 150F. After 10-15 minutes of shaving (the scuttle sitting on the counter-top) the water temp only dropped to 135F. I think you will love your new scuttle. Enjoy! :D

4. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

I had my scuttle and another one for my buddy's birthday both custom made by Robert. He does fantastic work. He also lives in my city so I had the pleasure of picking them up personally. He's a very friendly, humorous guy and he's very open to custom requests. He was very badly shaven when I met him. He said he tried the whole brush and razor thing but didn't like it. Kinda ironic that he makes scuttles :D

Then again Noe Hernandez from T&H mentions he himself can't use half the T&H creams cause his skin is sensitive...

5. sas71

sas71 Member

reminds me of Leo Fender. he couldnt play an instrument and was tone deaf but boy could he build guitars and amps.

6. brothers

brothers Active Member

If I was in the market for a new scuttle, I'd definitely consider one of Becker's. They just have a good look about them.

7. beautiful pictures, you brighten the day!

8. ridgerunner

ridgerunner Active Member

Thanks for the post. I have considered a scuttle as I have been placing the shave mug in the sink with hot/warm water. A great looking item that shows character and artistic creativity.