My personal weekly focus/challenge

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Jorvaljr, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

My wife and I are planning a 10 day vacation next February for the Daytona 500. The price tag $8000.. lol it's a lot of money. To help lessen the blow, my wife has asked me to postpone my collection pursuit. She has asked that instead of buying and selling to buy razors I want, that I instead buy and sell to help pay for the trip. How can I say no to that? Lol if I do I look like a selfish jerk.

I've said from day one, every razor I own I plan to shave with. If I can't get a good shave from it, it's not worth keeping. I don't want razors just to look at regardless how pretty they are.

I've decided to concentrate on working with some of my DE razors that were giving me problems. So instead of continuing with SE September, I will work with one DE razor a week. If I can't get a good shave with it, I'm going to have to let it go and sell it. So I thought it would be fun to do a journal on the outcome for each razor.

I have found, that I have a hard time getting a good shave from OC razors. I don't know what it is, but these type of razors fight back. So here is a list of razors that I'm going to shave with. Most are OC razors but 1 or 2 are not.

1. Bostonia
    Keeper: not sure which set to keep
    2. 1918 single ring
    Selling: not a good shaver for me

3. D. Corrado
    Keeper: good shaver

4. Red/black set
    Keeper: good shaver

5. Goodwill #1
    Sold

6. Sheraton
    Keeper: great shaver

7. Hoffritz slant
    Sold

8. Goodwill #2
    Sold

9. 1934 aristocrat deluxe
    Keeper: great shaver
    10. 1930s Gillette English LC.
    Keeper

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Slow Joe, Keithmax and ob1page like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

So here is the 1st week shave: Bostonian
    IMG_3383.jpg

I love the look of this razor. This week I was able to get good shaves from this razor which surprised me. I focused on pressure and angle. I did get some burn during a couple of shaves but it wasn't bad. I also got a couple of weepers here and there. By Friday , I was completely blown away. what a great shaver this is.
    So far this one is a keeper. I have a rosewood set and I'm torn which to keep and which to axe from the collection. no sense in keeping both as they are the same razor. Ugh!:signs131:

Results: it shaved well for me. I'm keeping it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    Slow Joe and clint64 like this.
  3. Jorvaljr

1936 aristocrat deluxe
    IMG_3384.jpg

I'm in love with this razor for all the wrong reasons. She's beautiful, sexy, and classy.. so what's the problem? She is a B - - -h. (Lol excuse my language.) Since I've owned her, I've only gotten one decent shave.... maybe two.. today was no exception. Razor burn and irritation is what I primarily got. Although, I must say that I'm the smoothest ive ever been with this razor. I'll see how the rest of the week goes.. but it doesn't look good..

This one I'm definitely concerned about. This and my president are my Crown Jewels. This is also the most expensive razor in my collection. I paid a lot for it and would hate to see it go. Wish me luck !
    Edit: this razor has been removed from consideration pending future repair.

Slow Joe, Suavemikey72 and clint64 like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'd concider having it tuned. They are normally exceptional shavers. Look closely at the exposure, is it even on both sides? These vintage instruments have been around a long time, a drop could have knocked it out of optimal blade exposure.
    There is a tread running expaining how to measure (planoman)

5. Jorvaljr

Thanks @david of central florida . You are right. There is one side that is frowning. The gap is larger in the sides

Frowning side
    IMG_3392.jpg

Non frowning side
    IMG_3393.jpg

6. david of central florida

That would do it.
    But get that straightened out, it should shave better.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  7. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

$8,ooo? Or $800? For 8 G's I could do some serious travel.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  8. Jorvaljr

$8000. Rooms are about 1500 for 10 days and air travel is $1100. Race tickets cost $1000. We dont know what food and rental cost are yet. We are planning on buying VIP access to track events and that's about $1200.

jimjo1031 and Redfisher like this.
  9. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Well I'll be...... You have a great time! Outta my budget for sure!

Jorvaljr likes this.
  10. Jorvaljr

Week 2 shave: 1918 single ring
    IMG_3405.jpg

So this one is shorted lived. I started yesterday with this razor with a new personna lab blue. And damn if this razor didn't hack my face off. I used no pressure and I was riding the cap. By the second pass my face felt raw! I had to stop and pull out my fat handle tech. Now I originally thought it might be a bad blade. But, I used the same blade in the tech and it worked fine. It was too late though I had weepers, razor burn and irritation.
    Today I shave with it again. This time I used a new Astra SP and the same thing happened. I didn't even make it to pass 2. I stopped and used my tech again with the Astra sp. again the blade was fine. The damage was already done. Bad razor burn and raw skin. No way am I shaving the rest of the week with it. This razor gets put in the sale bin!

Results : bad shaver for me. It's gone.

Slow Joe likes this.
  11. Jorvaljr

Week 2 shave: D.Corrado
    IMG_3414.jpg
    So I removed the single ring from this weeks shave. In its place I have this gorgeous razor. It's a D. Corrado gold OC. I've shaved with razor before and I couldn't really get a feel for it. I would always feel the teeth. That all changed tonight. Wow what a great shave. I used the personna blue in it and it performed great. I would of had a 100% irritation free shave if I didn't get greedy and go back to clean up some spots. I'm looking forward to the rest of the week!

**EDIT**
    So finished this week shaving with the razor. This one is a keeper. She shaves nice. The only thing is that I can't get a super close shave with it. Best I can do is a CCS. I may need more time to get to DFS.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    Slow Joe and mrchick like this.
  12. david of central florida

Nice single ring

Jorvaljr likes this.
  13. Jorvaljr

Week 3 shave: 1930s red/black set

IMG_3578.jpg

So this week was pretty good. The shaves were relatively good. Mid week I did get a little razor burn but it was probably because I kept a blade in there past 4 days. A new blade provided a smooth shave yesterday with near bbs. I did find I couldn't get that smooth without the help of my tech. I'm pleased enough with this razor to keep it around. So for now it's a keeper. I'll continue to revisit this razor moving forward.

Results: a good shaver and a keeper

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  14. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

This makes interesting reading. Thanks for sharing. You have some great razors. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your collection.

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk

Jorvaljr likes this.
  15. Jorvaljr

Week 4 shave: Goodwill
    IMG_3632.jpg
    This weeks shave is going to be with a Goodwill. Now I believe this is the first time I'm using this razor since getting it, but I could be wrong. I have 2 Goodwill razors but this one I had to have because of the style of the head. Although this razor isn't the condition I hoped for when I got it, the head design makes it a must have for me.
    I shaved with it this morning, using a Astra sp on its 3-4 use. I should of used a fresh blade, but I forgot. Needless to say the shave went incredibly well. The 3 passes were great with no irritation, weepers, or razor burn. It wasn't until I went into a clean up mode that I started to notice I'm overshaving and started to get some burn. Personally I don't think it was the razors fault but mine, I was being greedy as usual and trying to get bbs.
    So far of the open combs I've shaved with, this one had performed best on day one. I'm looking forward to the rest of the week.
    Happy shaving gents.

UPDATE: this razor is totally a keeper. It shaved well all week. There isn't anything I can complain about. The last two days I didn't get great shaves but it was due to the blade. I opened up a tuck of old gilette thin blades. The blades have lost their edge.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Straight razor dandy likes this.
  16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This is a great thread. Keep it coming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jorvaljr likes this.
  17. Jorvaljr

Week 5 shave: Sheraton

IMG_3759.jpg

What can I say. The Sheraton is a classic razor, blending the open comb with a tto . I've shaved quite a bit with the razor, but couldn't really get great shaves from it. The shaves were good but not great. Although not a perfect specimen as the gold is all but gone, but with this razor I'm diggin the brass tone. Today was the first shave of the week with it and I'm stoked about the result. I was able to get a BBS shave without chasing it down. The soap choice didn't assist but that is where the razor shined! Now pairing it with a slicker soap and I know the week will go great. Looking forward to it!

Update: the Sheraton performed extremely well. It gave me some great shaves. I know now with this razor the Astra sp and super iridium don't give me great shaves. It performed extremely well with personna blue . Razor is a keeper

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

And here I was going to give Tabac all the credit....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jorvaljr likes this.
  19. Jorvaljr

lol I wish I love the scent of tabac just can't get slickness. It lathers great with lots of pillowy softness.

Linuxguile and PickledNorthern like this.
  20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

You might be under hydrating it. Tabac takes the most water out of all of my soaps

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Jorvaljr likes this.