My poor Dad

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by crackstar, Mar 22, 2017.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

A while back my Dad who is 94 was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. This is a man who up to not too long ago was a physically powerful and extremely mentally sharp and very with it. The news of this diagnosis left me reeling and devastated. Although Dad is on medication, it's just a temporary delay. He's still able to function - he showers, shaves, eats, dresses, etc but his memory is worsening. Thank God he still recognizes the family and his friends. This has put me into major depression. I need support and badly.

Bookworm, gorgo2, Spud and 12 others like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

My prayers go out to you and your family. My grandfather had been diagnosed with the same condition. It can be challenging at times, but there are great moments as well.

Sent via mobile

3. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

It is hard to see loved ones get old or become ill. Your situation reminds me of my grandfather. He was a tall man. When he was young I remember stories where he would put one arm into his belt and challenge a man to a fair fight. When my mom was in her teens, he brought the family from Italy to America. He was a man I looked up to. Eventually he got cancer when I was 8. Mom kept me from seeing how much he changed from the cancer. I was fortunate to have seen him for the last time on my Communion. A strong , tall powerful man had withered to a mere 80lbs. I remember him asking mom for a few dollars to give me a gift for my Communion. He died several days after. I am now 46 and it still hits me hard thinking about that day but feel fortunate to have known him and have great memories to share. I believe it is men like my grandfather and your dad who really shape who we are today.

Enjoy every moment you can. I know you do but remember that who they are live in us forever.

All the best to you and your dad. We will pray for both of you.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Robyflexx, Kizurra, Screwtape and 5 others like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Sorry to hear that. I will pray for you and your family.

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Happened to my Dad too, and, like yours, he had always been in fine overall health. That's the puzzle of this disease. A most frustrating one, too. My thoughts will be with you and your family.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

We are a part of your family Jeff. Much peace and love from us to you and yours, in your time of need.

7. crackstar

The thing about this that is even more frustrating is despite all the research and clinical trials the medical profession is still at square one. There's no treatment that is able to halt or reverse the progression. All this medication does is slow it down for perhaps a year or two and that's it. Then it's downhill. As I'm making this comment I'm crying like a child.

Spud, Robyflexx, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    The circle of life can seem so unfair. I will
    pray for your strength Jeff.

Jayaruh, Kizurra, Screwtape and 3 others like this.
  9. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Praying for you, my friend. I've had two grandparents go through this. My grandfather was amazing through it all. He always treated her the same way and stuck with her. Because even though she didn't know who he was in the end, he knew who she was. There are support groups as well. You might see if there's a local one. My mom said it helped her tremendously to have others to talk to who were in the same circumstances.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jayaruh, Kizurra, lightcs1776 and 3 others like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    This won't make it easier, but I lost my dad when he was 57. Cherish the many years you had him.

11. Paul Turner

I hope you can find a support group somewhere.

12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Best wishes and stay strong. Dealing with an ailing parent is tough.

13. crackstar

Thanks Jeff. I love you like a brother. :)

Jayaruh and Kizurra like this.
  14. crackstar

I need one and badly. For the sake of my sanity. If not I may not be here much longer.

Jayaruh and Kizurra like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Your town must have a social worker, or your town's Senior Center must have an Outreach Coordinator to provide this kind of information.

Jayaruh, Kizurra and crackstar like this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

May the Lord bless Your Dad with His strength and you with His peace.

17. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Alzheimer.ca

Alz.org

Alz.to

Kizurra, twhite and crackstar like this.
  18. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

First of all, my deepest condolences. I know what it is like to watch someone slip away. Someone once told me that the reality of not being able to affect the situation can be harder than anything else, especially for men. Men protect. Men fix things. Men solve problems. The sad reality is that it is not up to us. When we figure that out, we may be able to assuage some of our grief.

Shaver X, Jayaruh, Kizurra and 4 others like this.
  19. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm sorry that there isn't anything that I can do other than offer my prayers. I will do that for you regularly. Best wishes.

20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Jeff, you have my profound sympathies. Both my parents succumbed to Alzheimer's. My Mom first followed by my Dad. As an only child it was very difficult to watch. My wife was great, as well as my aunts and uncles, but it was not a fun thing. Stay strong my brother.