My Pot Garden

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Mama Bear, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

With all of the wildlife that I have here I couldn't have a garden forever, even in the fenced backyard... I have an orchard in the backyard and have seen entire trees stripped of fruit overnight by squirrels... They left a peach pit on the fence for me one year...

So, this hardly used 2nd story deck got turned into a pot garden a few years ago and only now can I have fresh tomatoes and veggies. I just got this done today, I have tomatoes, bell peppers, jalepeno peppers, red peppers, banana peppers, beans, scallions, peas and herbs in today.

Tomorrow I might do flowers... but for now, I am pretty content.

Attached Files:

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Nice job Sue! Is that a squirrel I see peeking over the edge of the deck? :D

3. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

Until rabbits start to fly I might be alright... so far it has been OK, but only since it is up on the second story I think... :rolleyes:

I might do some strawberries tomorrow too.... :D I am a happy woman!

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Wow, that looks like mine only on steroids! I always had to grow everything in pots because we rented. Once we bought a house, we weren't sure how long we were going to stay, so we have never got around to digging a real garden plot. I've grown some really nice tomatoes, peppers and even some cucumbers in pots.

5. Will

Will Nevermind

Pot garden :confused:

I thought you were growing some weed man. :rofl

BTW you know my address when you finish the Home Made Salsa :D

6. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

I kind of got excited for a second...:D

7. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

looks nice :D We too have a pot garden for tomatoes, chilis and such as they would catch plant deseases around here when planted out in the "open field"

8. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

Not quite what I expected!

"Mary, Mary, quite contrary,
    How does your garden grow?"

"With weeds and grass,
    Like man, it's a gas,
    Just don't let the authorities know!"

St. Croix

9. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I know it's been a long time but I dont see any pot?????

Raf

10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Shhhh...that's in the shed with it's own water supply and high intensity lighting setup. :D

11. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

and the ventilation system. :D

12. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

Looks like I don't need to work on the fertilization system... :rofl :rofl :D :D :D

13. Htownmmm

Htownmmm Member

Not the picture I was expecting.

Marty

14. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

:rofl That seems to be the consensus!

15. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I think Sue is going to distill her own unique EO for the her next Soap called "Tokin'" :D

16. Smedley

Smedley New Member

This is a total newbie question, but what happens when the seasons change? Do you cover the plants up, just let them die...? I wouldn't mind trying to grow veggies that way myself.

17. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Most of the plants Sue is growing will die off for the winter. Some will drop fruit and reseed themselves but usually not. I have some container tomatoes, peppers and green beans. Each year requires new plants or seedlings started indoors. Next year I will add strawberries.

18. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

All of what I have planted are considered to be annuals. They will all die at the first frost and I will have to start all over again next spring. However for the next 5 months I will have fresh veggies any time I want to... ones that have not been sprayed with insecticides. The herbs I believe I can bring inside for the winter, but this is the first year I have planted fresh herbs.. I am quite excited about it. I dream of having a year round greenhouse some day. Strawberries and herbs may come back next year tho...

I love the name of this garden.. I was waiting to hear from Doc and Ed on the title tho.. and they did not let me down... lol You should have seen my mothers face the first time I told her I was growing a pot garden.. :ashamed001 :D

There is something incredibly satisfying at going and grabbing a handful of beans for dinner.. or making fresh salsa from the garden.. I love it! :cool: