My Review of Wet Shaving Products Sandalwood.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Paul Turner, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

OK, 4 maybe 5 shaves in with this. First, it's good to know WSP Sandalwood isn't the floral kind. Not to say there's anything wrong with floral scents-I kinda prefer manly, which is what Lee(the owner)focuses on. He calls it a "truer form"(his Sandalwood). With that, here's the breakdown:

Loading Strength-I figured it would be easier than the Clubman, since the Sandalwood appeared softer upon arrival. And it has been! Granted I'm not the best "loader" and I've been using the Burma Shave(which I'm happy to have as a "Professor of Loading"-oh, I should lose the corny remarks here, lol), but it gets more onto the brush than does the Clubman. This is all the more reason why I eagerly await my Pure Badger-also from WSP. 8/10(but maybe higher with use of the Badger when it gets here).

Slickness-Very good here. I find I really don't need a 2nd pass along my cheeks and chin area, but I do it anyway. 9/10.

Fragrance-It's quite nice. Of course the Sandalwood Aftershhave I ordered along with the soap is a big help in this area, but from the soap alone I get the feeling I'm going to smell good and manly . 10/10.

Time of Shipping-this can be described in one word-WOW. As I am on the East Coast, I was most pleased to get this in the time it took. Decent price, too. 10/10.

Overall-9.5/10.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Tdmsu, Jim99, Shaver X and 6 others like this.
  2. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to try their soaps. I like that they have seasonal scents with labels to match. I've heard some mixed reviews on the performance of the soaps but I feel like it might have been from people who are biased against anything that doesn't have tallow in it. I'm on the search for a good sandalwood so maybe I will give this a look. My one reservation is that it doesn't seem to have any skin conditioning ingredients. The first time I tried a soap with shea butter, I wondered why more artisans didn't incorporate it into their own soaps and now I feel like soaps without any similar ingredients leave my skin feeling sort of dry and tight.

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Very nice review, Paul. Thanks!

Paul Turner likes this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Paul for taking the time to write such a detailed review.

Paul Turner likes this.
  5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Good write up, Sir.

Paul Turner likes this.
  6. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Good write up Paul. I'm towards there end of my WSP Vetiver soap. I wish Lee would make some more. It's slick enough to do some minor buffing without additional application. The Vetiver had a great fragrance too.

Don

Paul Turner likes this.
  7. Paul Turner

You're welcome. TSD Russian Leather will be next, not sure when.

clint64 likes this.
  8. Paul Turner

Thank you :)

clint64 likes this.
  9. Gabe

Gabe Well-Known Member

I have yet to try their soaps, but I do love their aftershaves. Luckily I am about 20 minutes away, so I can go sniff everything before I buy. From what I understand; their formula is a MdC clone, which is also a veggie (non-tallow) formula.

10. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5ยข

They have both a tallow and vegan soap base.

Bobcat likes this.
  11. shaveslave

shaveslave Member

i've used this product several times; like the shaves i get with it, lathers easily and the razor glides nicely, but the scent is underwhelming.

12. Paul Turner

20 minutes away?? Someone is jealous of someone here!!!!

13. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I'm only about 10 minutes away, so I've been in a few times. I prefer their Formula T, but the vegan is good too.

14. Paul Turner

The Formula T probably is better, right.