My score from Etsy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by James_P, Jan 17, 2018.

1. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

Hey all. I scored a Gem razor. No clue on year but it was $15 shipped. It had soap buildup and surface rust all over. I used an old toothbrush and toothpaste. It came out super clean. Any clue on year?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I don't know the years of that model because I don't see codes on my gems either, someone here probably knows. If I had to guess probably the 50's, that's Gem G-Bar

Herm2502 and James_P like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

It does look like a G-Bar, but I'm wondering about what appears to be a plastic strip running down the front of the handle. If so, that might narrow down it's production years as other G-Bars have a full metal handle.

James_P likes this.
  4. James_P

It’s a full metal handle I wonder if that’s the reflection of my cell I used to take a picture.

jimjo1031 and Linuxguile like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Just wondering because it does look like something different as I don't see the knurling and seam of the handle under your thumb.

James_P likes this.
  6. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

That looks pretty nice.
    Hope it shaves as nice as it looks.

Congrats.

James_P likes this.
  7. James_P

Yep it’s the gem gbar. I picked up a pack of cvs single edge blades. Man this razor shaves like a mini straight. Very different. I’m going to stick with my DE when I just need to get the job done quickly.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It's one of the better Gem shavers. Terribly well balanced.

James_P and jimjo1031 like this.
  9. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Wow! that thing is a beauty!
    I have an older style GEM stamped Damanskee blade, and it shaves like the world is ending tomorrow!
    Great razor, and a great price. Be careful though, once you start on the rabbit hole of SE razors, it can be a long way to the bottom

James_P likes this.
  10. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

It's a GEM Flat Heavy Top also know as a G-Bar, as there is a G inside a circle on the side of the handle. I have not found a single GEM that does not give DFS's. Though some are a little more mild than others(the Feather Weight for one). Though if I had to pick the best shaving GEM, I would have to say the Damaskeene aka "Dammy". Just my $0.02.

11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The heavy flat top was made during the mid to late 1950s. I believe they have a chrome finish and are all metal.

They’re great razors and provide fantastic shaves. It’s one of my favorites.