My Shave Evolution

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by voice940, Dec 27, 2010.

1. voice940

voice940 Member

Hope this is in the right section... I'm still learning the layout :ashamed001

When I was in high school and just starting to shave, I started out with a Norelco electric - which seemed to be perfect at the time... I wanted a quick shave that was "good enough" for a lazy teenager.

Then by the time I was a high school senior (grade 12) I wanted a better shave, so I went with the multi-blade disposables. The shave WAS better, and I enjoyed the routine. (I didn't know that DE's even existed anywhere but antique stores, and certainly didn't think about using one for myself)

Then my lazy side to hold once again after I had my son a little over a year ago, and I started using the Norelco again, just because I didn't have time to shave regularly - and the disposables tugged and pulled at my face, which I wasn't about to put myself through if I didn't have to.

Then I was on a totally unrelated website dedicated to the "art of manliness" and it talked about a resurgence in the use of safety blades.

I got online and purchased that Merkur Hefty Classic (as I mentioned in the "introduction post") as well as some good shave soap and got back into the routine. Of course I got to enjoy a better shave than anything I had ever given myself, but really - I think it's the routine that I enjoy as much as anything... from prep leading up to the shave and enjoying the smoothness afterward.

Now, I don't know if I could call that going full circle - as I've taken a scenic detour - but I'm certainly glad my personal shaving evolution took me in this direction.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cool story. Thanks!

Glad to hear your shaves are enjoyable.

(maybe posted in the GENERAL forum :confused:
    "General (19 Viewing)
    Wanna talk about something shaving related that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else?")

Either way, still a good story :cool:

3. Fantastic! More 'or not your story like mine, better late than never, w DE razor!!

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Thanks for the story. BTW, you'll find many AoM reader among the ranks here and the "Shave Like your Grandpa" article was excellent.

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Go on...and just where would these "antique stores" be located? :D

6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

TELL ME DAMN IT!!!!!!

oh erm...uh...sorry sometimes that slips...:happy102

7. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Thanks for sharing your story! And you're absolutely right: It's the routine and the great-quality-products making the difference. Getting up in the morning and looking forward to a great ritual is much better than dreading that buzzing sound of the electric lawnmower...err... razor or the cheap feeling of the disposable razor.

8. Oscar

Oscar Member

I can't believe how similar our stories are. I went from Gilette Sensor Excel to Norelco - Dry to Mach3 and Fusion to Norelco Coolskin, until I found my way into DE razors. By the way, I think Sensor Excel was the best among the multi-blades that I tried...

9. FamousAmos

FamousAmos Member

my story is similar, I'm 26 and I've been shaving for roughly 10 years, but I've only been able to grow a full beard for about 5 years.

So for my first few years of shaving, the Remington floating heads electric shaver did the trick, I only had a few whiskers anyway! It was quick and easy, but never gave me a solid shave.

Then as I moved onto college, I started to use cartridge razors and the shaving gel that my college gave out as free samples. I also remember getting disposable razors in the mail for free.

Man, shaving was such a chore. It was uncomfortable, expensive and unsatisfying, rarely getting a close shave.

Then a friend of mine told me about the art of manliness website and I started downloading their podcasts. I saw the shave like your grandpa article and that intrigued me.

I took the plunge a month ago, bought a DE and i have enjoyed close shaves ever since.

I feel kind of guilty for buying all sorts of shave gear because at first, i went into DE shaving because it was supposed to be cheaper. Now it's turned into a hobby!

10. voice940

voice940 Member

hehehe

Actually, my grandmother ran an antique shop... and once every blue moon, I'd see one. Sorry to say, I haven't been privy to one in quite some time.