My Shavette Journey

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Sara-s, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have been shaving with DE’s for most of a decade. Now I am learning to use shavettes. So I am using this thread (hope this is OK) to keep track of the experience, problems, blades, etc. I welcome comments & advice.

Shavettes Tried so far;
    Essence-hinged design doesn’t work for me. I hated the grip, though the razor is well-made.

Kai Kamisori Captain -I am much more comfortable with this style & can use it with either hand. This is essential for shaving legs. Easy enough to load, though I had some trouble getting the blade out.

Blades-
    Feather artist club- used it with the Essence. Had so much trouble with the razor (some nasty cuts) that I won’t attempt to evaluate the blade. I may revisit it later.

Feather Proguard- I was able to get 2 shaves from this one. First was BBS, second was DFS. I feel a lot better with this blade, while I am building my skills. 2 shaves is pretty much my limit with any blade.

I also have a package of Kai Captain blades, which came with the razor. I will wait a bit to try these.

2 other Kamisori razors are en route, as @twhite has been kind enough to send these to me. More once they arrive.

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Ive tried using them a few times. Each time i slice myself. How the heck are your legs not tore up? Lol i have scars! And my face is my money maker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hembree and Tedolph like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Shavettes require a very shallow angle- much shallower than you would use with a DE. One thing I did was to practice the angle a few times without a blade. (YouTube also helped a bit.) Taking a lot of slow, short strokes also works.

Rather than shave in the shower, as I do with a DE, I sat in a chair by the sink, so I could wear my reading glasses.

4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Im pretty sure my legs would have peeled like a cucumber

Hembree likes this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I did get a couple of nicks with the Proguard but they were minor. MY legs still have all of their skin.

PLANofMAN and Hembree like this.
  6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

On the plus side that would be more time between shaves.

PLANofMAN, Sara-s and Hembree like this.
  7. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Just wondering out loud-I have a hard time visualizing how you would shave something as curvy as a woman's leg (at least I would hope it is curvy!) with something like a straight razor? A man's face has a lot of straight planes, e.g. cheeks, and other places that can be made straight though stretching an puffing, e.g. neck and chin under lower lip. Everywhere you look at a woman's leg you are looking at a curved surface. It would seem to be far more efficient to use something with the shortest blade possible, e.g. a disposable single edge razor. That is what my daughter used, I think-I mean I never watched her you know?

Hembree likes this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Despite the curves of a leg, the technique isn’t really that different. If you are taking short strokes, as you should, no one stroke is rounding a big arc.

9. Tedolph

I have found that the straight razor, or any single edge really, rewards long straight strokes. Short strokes lead to buffing and buffing leads to over exfoliation.

Hembree likes this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Best wishes on your journey. I have tried them a couple of times and ended up PIF the razor shortly there after.

Hembree and Sara-s like this.
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I’m sure that works on your face. On my legs, shorter strokes work well.

PLANofMAN and Hembree like this.
  12. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I’ve had better success with short strokes. It’s easier for me to maintain angle and control with the shorter stroke. My worst cuts have been at the end of a long stroke. Of course, part of that is likely my attention span.

PanChango and Hembree like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm with John. More control over my straight razor with shorter strokes. Has never led to buffing. Edit to add: short strokes with my DEs and SEs, also.
    But, hey, it's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

John Beeman likes this.
  14. Tedolph

I agree that short strokes are easier to control but longer strokes exfoliate less. My current barber tells the story of his father, also a barber, who used to do his straight razor pass on himself with a single long stroke never lifting the blade off the face. I can't do that but I can do an entire cheek with a single stroke.

15. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Late to catch this thread.....scatter comments/thoughts.

Practicing without a blade is great, I've suggested this several times over on the 30DC thread to shavette newbies. You may try some Schick Proline P-30 sized blades (same size as the Artist Club blades made by Feather). Schick Prolines tend to be a little more forgiving straight out of the box, but nonetheless quite sharp, some mention better longevity.

Exfoliation level in my brain seems dependent on mastering the pressure/angle equation as one learns....I don’t worry on that at all since transitioning away from the multi bladed thingies. Similar thoughts on long strokes versus shorter, just depends on the area being shaved, don't know that I pay any particular attention anymore.

I would think the chin/jawline transition areas and ATG type pass would be very similar (save for the larger scale) of most curves on a leg.

Maybe it’s a mindset, but for me, shavettes and kamisoris are so maneuverable (the ones diminutive in size), and fun to shave with.

Enjoy your journey!

Keithmax, richgem and Edison Carter like this.
  16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Well Sara I have to agree with you on the guarded blades, They are wonderful and less chance of getting nicked and I kind of know my limitations better with these blades. I use a Kai folding Luffy style clone with the Kai Protouch. I also modified a few blades to work in my Schick injectors and Gem Micoromatics (only). So if you like just a safety razor you can make them work in those also. I only cut the one end and stone any burrs. Really good shave, getting a BBS is a little tougher after 1 shave like you mentioned but I get about 7-8 DFS++ face shaves usually.
    The micromatics are safe because they capture the blade and the bottom stops act like the tensioner. As for Schick injectors they work excellent and provide a smoother shave possibly for some folks.
    Schick injector M3 adjustable razor MFG 1970-72 (3).jpg
    Kai Protouch in a Gem Micromatic 3.jpg
    Kai Luffy style folding shavette- Mfg- 2017--.jpg

Schick collage with a altered Kai Protouch.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

PLANofMAN, jimjo1031, Sara-s and 2 others like this.
  17. Tedolph

Now that I have been thinking about women's legs (maybe I shouldn't dwell on that too much) it probably makes sense to use a shavette rather than a straight. I mean there is just so much more real estate that maybe a straight would need to be stropped before the end of the shave? OTOH, maybe it really isn't any different because a man's beard is so dense?

Gonna have to meditate on this.....

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@Ron R I assume the green razor is the Kai clone. For now, at least, I am with you on guarded blades. @Tedolph I can’t imagine using a straight on my legs, but I believe @Queen of Blades does. (Please correct me if I’m wrong.)

I got a generous gift in the mail today, from @twhite I now have 2 more Kamisori shavettes to try; a feather and a CJB Feather clone. The CJB is a little shorter & lighter. Whether or not that is a good thing will be determined as I go along. As I get a chance to use these, I (and maybe my husband if he feels daring) will review them.
    1891268A-3C06-41F8-AB7D-93EE9F8C18DA.jpeg

Thanks again to Tom for sending these to me. His kindness is one of many examples of the kindness and generosity of members here.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  19. Tedolph

20. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Very awesome! Tom is without a doubt one of the most generous people I have ever encountered, anywhere not just on TSD. Seems like every time I turn around he has PIF'ed something to someone, including me! Just wanted to give a shout out to you Tom. We notice and sure do appreciate your kindness my friend. :eatdrink047:

PLANofMAN, BamaT, Karl G and 2 others like this.