My Shavette Journey

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Sara-s, Aug 2, 2021.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thank you. I like to spread my good fortune whatever it may be.

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

In the past I have gotten some DE blades, the same type as the KAI blades. If I remember correctly, they were called Safe-T-Guard, and possibly made by Personna. Felt like I wasn't shaving, but they produced really nice shaves.
    Edit: maybe spelled Safe-T-Gard.................

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Hembree, PLANofMAN and Edison Carter like this.
  3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

The Personna folks developed and patented that technology in the late 60’s when owned by Phillip Morris.

They still make a single edge, single blade cartridge type called Bump Fighter. Their target market is men of African descent who can be particularly aggravated by many modern cartridges.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup! Way to go, Tom!!

5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

When dealing with really sharp things, seeing what you are doing ranks pretty high! :)

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Yes, I did years ago. Due to nerve damage no hair grows on my legs anymore.

Karl G, Hembree, Tedolph and 4 others like this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

same reason I stopped using straights. nerve damage keeps me from holding the razor correctly

Karl G, Hembree, PLANofMAN and 4 others like this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Here is a bit more about the razors I have;
    Kai- weight-1.8 oz. length- 6.5”
    Feather- weight-1.6 oz, length- 6.25”
    CJB- weight-1.4 oz, length-6”

The Kai & Feather have a more balanced feel than the CJB.

I have gotten some good shaves from the Feather & Kai. Haven’t tried the CJB yet. I will probably get to it around the end of next week.

Karl G, Hembree, PLANofMAN and 3 others like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    FYI, Both the Kai and Feather are stainless steel. The CJB is plated zinc.

So far, I believe all of the many Kai/Feather replicas/clones are cast zinc.

Karl G, Hembree, Sara-s and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Karl G likes this.
  11. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

:happy088:

Karl G likes this.
  12. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

My barber uses a shavette on the back of my neck at the end of a haircut. She's always quite smoothe. I asked her what blade she was using. Derby.

Karl G, Tedolph and Sara-s like this.
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I did my second shave with the Feather. I had some irritation on my right thigh, but no nicks or cuts. I am still getting used to the technique. I am used the light touch a DE requires, but I see that these require an even-lighter touch. I am still mastering that.
    I like the weight & balance of this razor. I did find the handle a bit slippery- a little advice on managing this is welcome.

This was the second shave with this blade, so the result is DFS.

The one thing that I just can’t do with these is shave my underarms. Even in blade-free trials, it feels terribly awkward, so for that, I will stick to the DE.

Karl G, Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Way to go, Sara!
    As for a slippery grip, keep an alum block at the ready. Every once in a while rub your damp fingers (the ones you use to hold the razor) over the block. Improves the grip 10-fold.

Karl G, Edison Carter and Sara-s like this.
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Karl G likes this.
  16. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I use short strokes and buff with my straights and shavettes. Sharp edges and a very soft touch is key. Also knowing what types of passes your skin can tolerate is also important.

Karl G likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You can also use those little tiny rubber bands they use for braids and braces to add grip.

Karl G, Sara-s and Edison Carter like this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I used the CJB today. Not the best shave I’ve ever had- a couple of small cuts & some irritation. Not the worst neither, as it was close.
    Here is my review of it;
    The good stuff
    It was as easily loaded & unloaded as any of the others I have used.
    It has some grip ridges on the handle, which I liked. (BTW I did take advice from @swarden43 and used some alum, which helped)

Not so good
    It’s a bit shorter & lighter than the Kai or Feather, which made it a little harder to control. Not impossible, but just a bit more difficult.

Something I haven’t mentioned up to now is the cost of each razor. The Kai can cost from about $80 to $130. Best deal is from Amazon, which includes a nice leather case & a pack of blades. The Feather runs from about $100 to $130. I have seen the CJB on Maggard’s for $25.

It’s easy to dismiss the much-cheaper CJB, when comparing it to the others. But it is in a different price range and everyone can’t necessarily spend the money for the more expensive ones. If the budget is modest, it could be the right choice for some folks.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    Edison Carter and Trigger like this.
  19. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I own a Dovo and a Parker Shavette and 99% of the time, I get great shaves from these low end razors and truly enjoy them. However, I have even a better experience using my straights that range from low end vintage to high end custom razors.

Karl G, Tedolph and Sara-s like this.
  20. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

This sort of disturbs me.

A nick or a cut is sort of a once a year, sometimes less, event for me and is usually a result of me trying something stupid.

I wonder if shavettes are simply more prone to cut or nick than a straight razor?

Trigger likes this.