My Straight Shaving Journey

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Etoyoc, May 23, 2009.

1. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Shave 19: over all a fairly close shave. I am trying to improve my stretching to get those problem areas. However I am getting them at the cost of increased irritation and more nicks. So I am taking days off to heal. Those days off and the great shaves with DE/SE really have me questioning why I am trying to use a straight.

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Shave 20: Was looking over the tight schedule during the week (daughter has early AM appointments) and realized that the best time for shower/shave was before going to bed. So I had a 2nd shave last night. Due to the irritation that I had been getting, I took some time to look at the edge. There were a few bad spots on the edge where the blade must have hit something (you would think I would remember that). So I ran through several passes on the Swaty and stropped extra before the shave.

Overall the shave wasn't bad. I got myself twice and both times it was my own lunacy that caused it. I got myself under my nose and on my chin. I didn't bother to push for too close because I figured it would be 6 hours before anyone saw my face; whats the point?

If it weren't for the two cuts, it would have been an excellent shave.

3. JimR

JimR Active Member

Those are the ones that really bother me...when everything just goes so right except for stupid little slip-ups that you KNOW could have been avoided. :mad:

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Shave 21:
    As I recall the shave went fairly well. I am still experimenting with different stretches and directions for the 2nd pass. I cut my neck during a pass because I didn't lift the blade enough before moving it sideways to start another stroke. St00pid error

I noticed in the swimming pool how much these straight cuts can continue to burn!

5. olafurson

olafurson Member

Tried an alum block? That might help with the chlorine burn...

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I recently started using alum. I can't find any local potassium alum blocks. However, I found a pump spray with potassium alum and water. I added it to my witch hazel blend. I figure that my next order from Vintage Scent or TSD will include an alum block.

7. olafurson

olafurson Member

You want one? I've got one too many. PM me your address and I'll ship you one.

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Thanks, but not necessary. The liquid mix worked fine last time. We will see how it does today when I shave only an hour before swimming...

The Semogue 1305 I ordered came in today. Woo Hoo! That really is a nice brush. I expect to see it used quite often!

On to the shave:

Shave 22:

First pass went real well. I also got some Tom's Mint today and I am using that for the first time. It is quite slick and I need to rinse my hand often in order to stretch.

2nd Pass went well at first. I slipped a little under my mouth and nicked myself twice. Left side of neck cleaning up great on 2nd pass. As always, the right side is the trouble side. However, it is coming along. After my nicks, I was probably a little gunshy and just wasn't letting the shave happen for the right side.

3rd pass and touch up went fine.

The Genco Vanadium has reached a honemeister, so hopefully I will get that back in the next week.

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Shave 23: great shave! I did a little more with the 2nd pass with my left hand and am steadily getting closer shaves. The only nick today was on that mole in middle of my left jawline (gets nicked once every few weeks).

Other wise it was a great shave. Not perfect, but getting better. Its been 7 hours and it still feels pretty good. At this point if I didn't know it was a straight shave, I wouldn't know it based on the way it feels after this much time.

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Shave 24:
    Another fine shave. Minor weepers that heeled before rinsing, nothing I ever felt. Shaves are continually but very slowly improving and there really isn't anything to report.

It has been a long time since the Province Sante came up on rotation. Wow! Between that and the 1305, this was a fun shave.

11. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Something I should probably mention... as my technique has grown I have grown accustomed to angling the blade to use only part of the blade on my face at a time. I used to think that claims of using the straight to pick out and cut particular hairs ludicrous; however, I do that every time under my nose. I use the tip to get those small bits of stubble left under the nose. For some contours of my face I use more of the tip. At other times I use more of the heel or just the middle of the blade.

12. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Happy 4th of the July. I shaved with a freshly honed Genco today! Woo hoo!

Definitely the closest shave I have managed with a straight and now we are really getting close to BBS. Yeah there were some small weepers along the way, but they all quickly healed on their own. Great shave from a great American made razor!

13. JimR

JimR Active Member

Hey, Me too! Genco on the fourth, must be written in the stars! ;)

14. puzle

puzle New Member

Just wanted to say as someone who is looking to start straight shaving next week this has been a great post. Thanks for taking the time to put up the info.

We I say start I need to find a place up in Toronto Canada to get a razor. Going to check out a store in the city to see what they have Tuesday. Have been wet shaving with soap and brush for a long time but have been using modern razors.

Thanks again.

15. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Its been a while, but shave #26 today...

Because it has been a while, I took a little more time in my prep as well as changed the passes.

Alternate Prep:

Hot Shower
    Hot water rinse
    Oil Mix (25% castor, 75% EVOO, a few drops of tea tree and peppermint EO)
    Hot Towel
    Hot water rinse
    Lather
    Hot towel
    Hot water rinse

Did the extra steps help? Who knows; however, they don't hurt and I wanted to take my time and not rush.

Tonight I did two WTG passes and then an ATG pass. I ended up with my usual rough spots. However, as I am going to bed after this shave, it doesn't matter. I will have stubble by morning anyway. Yes, I need to practice my XTG pass. However, at the moment, I want to master WTG and ATG. I read a post last week where it mentioned trying to master WTG to the point where you could get BBS with just 2-3 WTG passes and then move on to try to get BBS with only XTG, etc... I am intrigued by the idea...

16. JimR

JimR Active Member

Well, if it gets the whiskers off and don't hurt you, it's a success!

I don't use a WTG pass at all anymore. I start XTG, then do ATG and a touchup water pass...I don't even know why I started doing it that way, it just seems to have happened. It's working out ok for me, though...got my first perfect ten straight shave this morning!

17. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

#27.... foolish error

So, I don't wear my glasses when I am shaving and I quit getting contacts when my work changed our vision plan. I know that I lean in closer to the mirror to get a closer look when I shave those really small areas like under the nose... I didn't realize how far forward I had been leaning...

While trying to get a simple pass under the nose, I hit the scales on the mirror.... instant cut right under the nose. Thankfully it isn't too deep and should heal well. But it certainly messed up my vibe for the rest of the shave and it stings like crazy. Always one of the worst places to get cut...

18. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I have come very close to hitting the mirror too while working under my nose. Luck has been with me so far though. I hope you heal up quickly!

19. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

It took longer for that cut to heal and stop bothering me than I expected. But then again, under the nose is always a bad spot to get a cut/sore/etc...

#28... back on track. Three pass shave with a little bit of touch up and two itty bitty weepers. I would say that at this point my straight shaves are better or on par with some of my DE razors. Still not 100% BBS. But, it is DFS and good enough for night time shaves (11PM shave last night)

20. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

What is DFS?