My two scents worth

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Ijustmissedthe50s, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

(If this should be posted in the pre/after shave forum, my apologies.)
    Probably my favorite aspect of our shared enjoyment of all things shaving is the wide variety of scents in so many products I've encountered. Every time I smell a new product, particularly after shaves, it becomes my new favorite scent. I can't believe how different each brand or variety can be, or why I love two that are so seemingly different to my nose and mind that I couldn't like them both.
    In After Shaves only, what are the two most different scents that you love and use that you can't believe they are both in your collection? (I'll leave it up to you if you think unscented counts, knowing that many who use unscented products do it out of necessity).
    My two just happen to be old school,but anything goes... Pinaud's the Veg, and blue Aqua Velva. How in the world could I absolutely love BOTH of them?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  2. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

The Veg.............made for a man's man.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  3. Ijustmissedthe50s

For sure! But what's one you love that just totally the opposite of it?

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

When it comes to scents, how do you define "opposite"?
    Doesn't make sense to me.
    A scent is a scent, some just different than others.

5. Ijustmissedthe50s

Yup...ya know, after posting and rereading, I realized that the concept I had in mind just doesn't work. I'm not sure what I was thinking, but there's no real answer, cuz there's no real question lol. Thanks for making the point...much obliged. How do I delete a post?

6. swarden43

For a single post, just click DELETE under your signature line, bottom left corner of your post.
    For a whole thread, that's left to the mods.

7. swarden43

I guess the closest to "opposites" when it comes to scents is that some folks will label some as "winter" scents and some as "summer" scents.
    I don't.

RyX and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I think I get the opposite idea. Two that came to mind - Pinaud Special Reserve and M&L Florida Water. The first is Indiana Jones in a leather flight jacket smoking a cigar. The second is CocaCola, a tree ripened fresh peeled orange, and a handful of posies in a window sill. I like both for different reasons.

9. Masonjarjar

Masonjarjar Active Member

I don't think anyone would ever confuse Grey Flannel and Perry Ellis 360..

Demidog and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  10. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Clubman Pinaud and Proraso green for me. Clubman Pinaud is a pretty warm scent to me and it smells like a cross between a skunk and talcum powder. Proraso green is a cool scent, very fresh and clean. To me, they are opposites but they are also similar because they are both manly. However, they can still be opposites in this regard because Clubman Pinaud is an old man smell and Proraso green smells like a young guy's scent. I enjoy them both and I use them all of the time. Sometimes I even splash some on regardless of whether or not I have just shaved.

Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  11. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I’d have to go through my collection but I’m quite sure that I could find more than one pair that seem completely different.

When I first started wet shaving I had it in my mind to find that “one” aftershave scent that was the ultimate for me and not use any other. Then I started sampling, one thing led to another, and now my collection covers a broad range.

Some days I’m in the mood for cigars, leather, and bourbon; and then other days, lilacs and baby powder.

I know lots of guys stay within a similar range but I like the variety.

Looking back to my original quest for “the” aftershave, I never dreamed then that I could be happy with scents of such a divergent range as what I now enjoy.

I understand what you mean by opposites. Bourbon and cigars tend to go together while bourbon and baby powder; not so much.

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Most of the scents I like are "manly/heavy" scents. RL Safari, B&M Leviathan and Cologne Russe, Russian Leather, bay rum, old spice.

If it has bergamot, leather, and oak moss in it, chances are, I'll like it.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I also like a few "flowery/light" scents. Light florals like lime, 4711, Speick, and Tabac. (I know, Lime isn't really a floral scent.)

13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Lavender and citrus are my mainstays. I like flowery scents in moderation, and I am not really a fan of very spicy or woody scents. I like the classic colognes, going back to the 19th and 18th centuries.

14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Many times I've wanted to delete some of my threads. For instance, my "Ed Pinaud Clubman Cavalcade Of Sports" doesn't exist, because my posts(and those of others)still go under the "Winston Churchill Clubman Cavalcade Of Sports" even after I changed my avatar from Churchill to what you see now. (I doubt there was one of Ed Pinaud, lol).

15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think it’s a cool concept. For me, I have a lot of contrasting scents, because I really like crisp light citrusy scents, or earthy, mossy types. So if we are trying to find opposite ends of the spectrum, let’s go with Stirling Lime, and Chiseled Face Summer Storm. Pure citrus, vs. ozone and oak moss.

16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Ed Pinaud avatar? Here's one if anybody wants it!
    Edouard Pinaud.gif

17. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I think "opposite" is the right word for it. But it gets down to the basic level of the notes of a scent. For instance you could have a spicy scent that smells really sweet vs more bitter scent like Lime. By them selves they might be overwhelming but combined they might be a really nice scent. In other words opposites compliment each other. You find the same concept in art with color i.e. you never have a truly Red apple, artists will use an opposite color such as Green to tone down the Red and it works. Same example goes with scent. let say you have that Apple scent, it might be to sweet, then one might use a bitter scent such oak Oak to bring it back down. Probable the reason why we call them Artisan Soap Makers, etc. They are using a scent pallet to create an over all scent picture, that smells even better than simply one basic scent or another.

18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

wow.....that is giving me some ideas all right....but what I really want to do is get my thread title changed.

19. swarden43

The only opposites I see in color black and white. The rest of the spectrum is linear, visible red to violet, thus preventing opposites.
    Of course, I'm no artist, so colors on the pallet may very well have opposites.

20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Color Theory

https://www.sessions.edu/color-calculator/