My wiskers tend to fill the blade area.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ironthinker, Apr 30, 2017.

1. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I left carts because my wiskers would fill the blade area so fast on even the first shave. Yes I rinsed constantly, but it didn't help. Now I use a Merkur Progress and the king of carts the "Gillette Guard". The only time I have problem now is with a three to four day growth on the Merkur and it's easy to clean.

Anyone guess why I have this problem.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I had the same problem. It seems that the blade to blade gap is really narrow on carts.

brit likes this.
  3. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I had this problem too and I'm sure every single guy who has ever shaved with a cartridge razor has also had this problem. Like you, it was also a big deciding factor in switching to a safety razor. It's as jimjo said: the gap between the blades is very narrow so of course hair is going to get stuck. The blades being essentially parallel to one another probably doesn't help.

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Yes, with cartridges, hair combined with shaving foam would remain trapped between blades and it's actually (aside a sentimental reason), the practical reason that i thought of converting to DE razors, because frankly, it's hideous to see a cartridge with that stuff stuck to it and it's not hygienic either.

5. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I went back to cartridge type blades Gillette Flexball Fusion razor because I am having problems with my hands. They seem to work well. Some days if I don't shave for a mayor so I need to use my Wet & Dry Electric razor and then go back over it with the Gillette I tried several different brands and my Wife brought home one of the Gillette Fusion FlexBall razors for me and it seemed to work the best.
    Gillette Flexball Manual Razor.jpg

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

When I used DE razors, the Gillette Fat Boy and the Slim Adjustables never clogged with hair. If that doesn't do the trick, then you could go Single Edge razors, like the Gems, and Ever Ready razors.

7. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I had that problem with carts, too. I used to have to rub the head backwards on my hand to try to work some of the gunk out. I don't miss those days!

brit likes this.
  8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I used to have that problem as well.
    Problem solved[​IMG]

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am happy to report that I can do a complete pass without rinsing with my Gem Jr. Lather Catcher.
    IMG_3444.JPG
    IMG_3649.JPG

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

GEM made the micro matic clog pruf after all.

Gee Mister.... That shore is a good looking razor right there.

11. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I think I'm enjoying NOT having to figure out blades in a GEM enough that I can put up with the occasional rinse from my SuperSpeed. I can't wait to get the New Standard repaired, however. That one just feels so good to hold.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Ha!! Figuring out blades for the Gem is simple. Carbon steel or stainless. Everthing else is window dressing as long as they are shaving blades. I prefer PAL blades. But get just as good a shave from treets or blue stars or even them silly ptfe coated SS things. Just to to CVS or Walgreens and buy the house brands. There SE made simple...get crackin. (I stolanated the get crackin from BAMA)

13. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

As usual, really great answers. The straight razor pic said it all. It was great know it wasn't just me.

1. I do have to put in a word for the Gillette Guard cart. It's produced for developing nations, not sold in the US, other than Ebay and a few other vendors. Gillette wants to win DE users who have hundreds of brands to pick from, and have this for their only razor. Uses little water, does not ever clog, seldom cuts skin and last for many shaves. The only cart I will ever use.