[N00B-post]Gramps giving me a Gillette safety razor.

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Issac, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Issac

Issac Member

Heya folks sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Being in my college years my beard is starting to come in a lot faster, and suddenly it hit me how expensive this junk is 20 bucks for 4 cartridges that only last me 2-3 shaves each? So after some google-fu I discovered loads of people talking about the close shave and cheap cost of blade refills that you get with an old-timey safety razor.

So I asked my gramps and it turns out he found a "gold Gillette saftey razor" that says "made in the U.S.A." I'm not much of an expert but could this be an Aristocrat or something from the 40s? I'll be picking it up in a few days.

Anyway I was wondering if you guys had any tips about safety razors or experience with old Gillettes. Am I going to have a rough time finding the appropriate refills?

I'm pretty new at this so I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer.

[update]
    (Used my laptop to take this I can't really manage anything better right now.)
    From top to bottom:
    Schick Quattro with broken razor... clipping..... mechanism.
    1971 Gillette "Black Beauty" Super Adjustable
    40's Gillette Tech Gold plated Ball-end

Blades left to right:
    "DOCTOR'S double edge blades guaranteed satisfaction"
    Gillette Super Blue Blades (the tin is half empty but it's still nice to look at)
    "OLD HICKORY double edge blades"
    [​IMG]

2. thinklikeh20

thinklikeh20 Active Member

Welcome to TSD:signs046: I am new here as well but should be able to answer some basics.

Im pretty sure the Aristocrat is a Dual Edge razor that you should have no problem finding blades for!
    Also know you will need a brush and some soap or cream. I highly suggest looking around (the sticky in the Shave School forum) and looking up mantic59 youtube videos as they are a great place to start with learning how to use your new razor.

Give it a little practice and Im sure you will be hooked! I already am after only a week of shaving, never ever will I go back to cartridges and gas filled foams.

I'm sure some more knowledgeable members will chip in here and help out. Make sure and join the newbie give-a-way! I will be eligible after this post! :happy108:

3. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hi and welcome to the shave den, you can buy a blade sampler pack online from many vendors (cheap and easy way to try different blades, to see which is best for you)

Connaught
    Shoebox Shaveshop
    Bullgoose
    Shave-A-Buck
    Bestshave.net
    shavenation.com

The first vendor I listed is UK based the rest are USA. there are many more places but these are the main one's used by most people here.
    You may want to post a pic of your razor when you recieve it, as it will by quicklt id for you with the correct cleaning/care advice.
    If you have any other questions just ask, lots of help always available here:)

4. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Vintage Gillete Double Edge razor are the majority of what I shave with. Once you get it, post some pictures and we can tell you exactly what you have. If it is an Aristocrat, you're in for a treat, they are great razors.

There are many places to buy blades online, but it can be overwhelming at first. I'd suggest going to Walmart/Walgreens/CVS/ or a durg store or grocery store. Any of those should carry at least 1 brand of DE blade. Walmart should have Wilkinsons, and the other may have American Safety Razor blades, but packaged with their own logo. It will say American Safety Razor Co. on the back. Unless you have no other option, don't get blades that say made in Korea (like the ones at Dollar General). They are Dorco brand, and in my opinion aren't as good, although some people do like them.

Also read around on the forum and learn about the whole wet shaving process. Using shaving soap and a shaving brush is much better for your skin than using canned gel/foam/goo. Good Luck!

5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

The Shave Den Store too. ;)

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Welcome to the Den.

Get comfy, then click here. Make sure to check out the "Master Sticky" list while you're there for what blades and razors to get, plus lots of how-to videos.

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

9. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Welcome to the Den! Enjoy your stay here and Happy Shaving! :signs046:

10. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Welcome!

11. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Welcome to The Shave Den! I hope you enjoy your stay.

12. Issac

Issac Member

Ok so it's not an Aristocrat, it's a gold plated ball-end [​IMG]
    He also gave me another Gillette and some vintage razors in including a pack of super blue blades in the fancy tin. I'll be back in a few hours I've got some work to do but, I will return with pictures.

The neither one has any branding or model number other than "Gillette" and "Made in U.S.A".

The 2nd one he gave me was really what I was looking for, Steel with a plastic grip, opens by twisting the bottom, and has an adjustable blade. I think It's the short handle model of the "Gillette Super Adjustable".

However it has a bit of grime, should rubbing alcohol + q-tips be sufficient cleaning material?

alpla444 likes this.
  13. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

:signs046: and greetings!! Great to have you join in. Sounds like you have nice razors. Checking around the forum how to clean vintage razors. I use near boiling water and Scrubbing Bubbles for cleaning.
    I am sure others will pipe with other ideas too.

14. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

scrubbing bubbles will help the cleaning process, you can also use an old toothbrush with toothpaste or baking soda.

Congrats on getting your grandpas razors and welcome to the Den!

15. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

nice gifts from grampa. clean them up and enjoy. greetings to the den

16. Issac

Issac Member

I used some warm water and a little shaving cream on a patch of my face to see if I could pick up a little of what my modern razor left behind (using the Super Adjustable and a super blue).

Guess what, I didn't cut my face off, which is good considering I have a job interview tomorrow, and it's really smooth.

Gonna go get some department store brand soap and brush,. I'll get Bullgoose's country sampler pack if my success continues.

alpla444 likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Congrats. You are off to a good start. (BTW, ladies will love your nice smooth shave.) And I think it is cool that you are starting with your Grampa's razor.

18. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

The razor look to be in very good condition:)

19. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

The top one is a gillette super adjustable with a long blade handle and the bottom is a gillette tech. Lots of people swear by the adjustables and I swear by a tech. I think they're fail proof and the most dummy razors ever. I give them to everybody. I found a practically new old stock gold tech, like yours, and gave it as part of a gift to a best friend. He loves the way it shaves and looks.

If you ever decide you want something modern, the Merkur 34C HD and Edwin Jagger EJ89 are very popular choices and two of my favorite still.

20. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den :signs046: Your Ball end Tech and the Super Adjustable are excellent razors, so you can thank Gramps. Put the Adjustable on 3 and hold it lightly when you shave; don't overdo it until you have a couple of weeks of shaving and can determine the best blades, lather, and technique for you.