Name of DE with squares to hold blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Epimetheus, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Got an old DE razor at a flea market, it has two square buttons on the head to hold the blade.

I forget, what are these called? Courtesy razors?
    The head is a bit corroded. Are they brass or pot metal? Brass I could shine up.

2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Goodwill Razor?
    image.jpeg

Herm2502 likes this.
  3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Gillette Goodwill?
    upload_2016-8-9_22-1-36.png

cmorris357 likes this.
  4. Epimetheus

Goodwill, that's it. thank you both. The razor matches the first image exactly.
    The razors look like solid brass. Any suggestions for removing tarnish without buffing out the detail?

whiteboy_cannon and cmorris357 like this.
  5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Maas polish will take it down to the brass. The head I think is copper

6. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Have you shaved with it?

7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

It's all brass. The head is usually red brass often mistaken for copper. The base brass can look very nice. This is in if my "gotta find" razors.

Herm

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. Epimetheus

Rich, it is still too dirty for shaving
    It was black with dirt and green with verdigris oxidation. I will post a few pics.

I researched home made chemical cleaning and tried these:
    1. passive electrolytic cleaning. Put AL foil in a salt solution, rest the brass against the foil. Result: very slow bubbling and almost no cleaning
    2. warm acetic and salt solution (5% ascetic acid, standard white vinegar). Soak for 30 min. All verdigris and dirt was removed from the top.
    3. warm citric acid and salt solutions (lemon juice). Soak for 30 min. Some cleaning, not much.
    4. ketchup, soak for 30 min. Some youtube vids show successful cleaning with the combined ascetic and citric acid in ketchup. I saw no cleaning
    #2, white vinegar and salt, was the most successful. I then soaked the handle in vinegar and it bubbled away all the crud from the knurling.
    Chemically removing the corrosion created clean dull finish as I expected.
    The matte finish brass must be buffed to shine.

9. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Try this. I use it for my other brass...
    image.jpeg

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I finally got mine this year. It is English made for the French market. It is a long comb. Love it. 100_3487.JPG

11. Epimetheus

here it is. It looks much cleaner in the photo. The cap and comb were black with crud and corrosion. The comb has not been cleaned, the cap and handle were soaked in warm vinegar salt solution ofr 30 in and scrubbed with a plastic brush.

[​IMG]