Natural stone-best guess

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by oscar11, Nov 15, 2017.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Arkie of some type?
    [​IMG]

Billyfergie, Karl G, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    hehehe

I tell ya they will deceive you when just "looking"

@Karl G sent me two last week to mess with and see what he had

The first one by looks I would have swore was an Arkie nope was a Synthetic tool hone
    The second one looked even more like a standard grey Arkie, after the DMT 120 and the DMT 325 what I found was a SWEET Yellow/Green Thuringen under the crud

Clean it, look close, touch, SMELL, and see what is there

3. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

That is a beautiful pattern! And I look forward to hearing people’s thoughts.

Not sure if this is the same stone, but it looks similar. It is very hard - battled my DMT325 into submission, feels very fine, doesn’t absorb water, and smells of oil. And it does look like you could almost see through the top layer... in a weird way.

Didn’t like my first attempt at finishing a razor but I am still excited to keep trying.
    813FD84B-AE6B-4D11-942D-D8B37723AE2D.png

Billyfergie, Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Did you try to hone a razor, with that crack in it? If so, I can see why your results might be lacking. If you can feel the crack, so can your razor. Razors like totally smooth surfaces. Are you planning on trying to epoxy or glue the two pieces together??
    Also, some of these stone are so hard, they will destroy a DMT plate. Many of us have had success lapping hard stones with Silica carbide powder.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Billyfergie, Karl G, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  5. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

You can definitely feel the crack. I basically honed like it was two stones, keeping the slurry in two sections.

I will need to try the silica carbide powder as my DMT does not want to go near it again. Thank you.

@oscar11, does the stone slurry similar to a Coticule? This stone’s slurry is milky and very similar in that it didn’t feel like it was breaking down. It was sold to me as a Coticule but I am pretty sure it is not that.

Billyfergie, Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  6. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Forrest Gump was close, “Buying stones on eBay is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.” :rofl:

Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    It Doesn't Look Like a Coticule to Me..It Reminds Me of Some Washita Oil Stones..Its Worth Bearing in Mind that a LOT of Coticules are Far from Fit for Finishing SRs in My Books..Most are Well Shy of 12 K & Many Shy of 10 K & Some are Low Grit Stones for Tools...Its Not Easy Finding a High Grit Coticule..I was Lucky to Get a Barbers Coticule that's Probably got a Finishing Capacity of 12 K or 12 K + & it Produces No Slurry or Swarfe when Using it Purely as a Finisher ..:)

There is Some Strange & Obscure Coticules Goin around Mind..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    TestDepth and Karl G like this.
  8. oscar11

Mine is not a coti and I do believe it's some type of arkie. It's close to a glass finish on it now but suspect it won't make a finishing stone but we'll see.

TestDepth, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  9. oscar11

@oscar11, does the stone slurry similar to a Coticule? This stone’s slurry is milky and very similar in that it didn’t feel like it was breaking down. It was sold to me as a Coticule but I am pretty sure it is not that.

Billy it slurries but not as easily as a coti, you have to work at it and it's very light and slightly milky.

Karl G, TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.