Need a good way to store a pasted paddle

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Reformation Student, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I'm looking for a good way to store my 4-sided pasted paddle that will protect each side from dust and dirt contamination. I've tried using a plastic bag but I didn't like that idea very much as it didn't seem to protect it very well.

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Tony Miller screws in like a Hook. I have mine hanging from a wire shelf in my closet

3. Reformation Student

I have one of Tony's with the hook. I'll have to see if I could hang it in my closet. Thanks for the idea.

4. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

Drill a hole in the handle or put an eye screw in the end . You could hang it off a small shelf or "L" bracket either visible or tucked away someplace
    Tom

5. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

exactly what I would recommend too :)

6. jnich67

jnich67 Member

I put mine in a zip lock back and zip it to the handle. Then I wrap the "extra" around the strop and secure it with duct tape. It hangs in my closet like that. Not pretty, but it works.

Jordan

7. momo360

momo360 New Member

The reason why I like to stay away from bags is cross contamination of the pastes grits. There's no danger of that with the hanging approach.

8. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

Momo, good observation. I wouldn't have thought of it and you are right to be concerned about cross contamination.
    Tom

9. Reformation Student

That's what I didn't like about the bag. The paddle would rub against it and I'm sure some loose diamond powder would cling to the bag and I was never sure I put the paddle in the same way so I always thought I was mixing grit. (IE - 1micron powder on the bag settles onto the .5 micron side).

10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Very good point to remember. Hadn't thought of that.

11. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

having cross contamination on your strops would make a very poor day trying to polish a blade.
    Tom

12. Reformation Student

So does hairspray. I kept wondering why my blade would dull quickly after sharpening it. Then I saw white stuff on my hanging strop in the bathroom and realized it was residue from my wife's hairspray. :eek:

After cleaning the strop, things are AOK again :D And the strop doesn't reside in the bathroom when not in use anymore.

13. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

So what did you end up doing?

14. Reformation Student

About the paddle? Nothing yet, it's sitting on my coffee table. I am going to find a way to hang it from my shelves in a small room I have that's attached to the bathroom. That way, it can hang freely and if I need it for a quick touch up, it's readily at hand.

15. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

Hahahahahahahaha
    I can just picture this...
    Tom

16. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I have a two sided one that has the .5 micron green on one side and smooth leather on the other. It came with a box opened at one end that just slides over the paddle. It also came with waxed paper as a cover to keep the box from rubbing it.

Maybe a wax paper strip cover would help. Take two long strips, and place one over one side, across the top, and over the other side. Criss-cross another piece like that on the opposite two sides, then secure at the handle with a piece of tape or a rubber band. Voila!

17. Reformation Student

That's an interesting idea, Blair. Thanks.

18. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

I just love the ideas that come up on TSD
    TOm

19. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Well, I like the first suggestion.. hanging freely from under shelf...

20. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

I don't see me using pasted strops very much..so if I didn't use em I won't have one.
    If I did decide I wanted one. I'd have it free hanging as part of my display...
    WHICH, BTW, I don't have yet
    :)
    Tom